Monday, April 16, 2018

That's Your Mom?


The weather this Spring has been all over the place in terms of temperature and precipitation. The tail end of last week we had a few nice days and so the kiddos and I went to the local park to play. Other families were there, taking advantage of the nice weather, so the kids found friends to join in play. For the first time, I heard some of the kids questioning Chica Marie about me. “That’s your mom?” they asked her incredulously. Chica Marie, seemingly oblivious to their confusion, would answer affirmatively. She didn’t seem to catch onto their disbelief and doubt, nor see their eyes move from her to me and back. I try to talk about adoption things when they pop up because it seems to work for the kids to have real-world scenarios to understand. On our walk home from the park, I mentioned to Chica Marie that she doesn’t have to tell everyone she is adopted, it is her story and she can tell who she wants when she wants to tell them. Right now, since it just happened, she seems to want to tell everyone. I find it’s hard to explain to her innocent soul that not everyone will meet her enthusiasm of her adoption status. I don’t want her to feel like she has to hide the fact that she’s adopted, I just don’t want her to think she always needs to explain it, to explain herself. I suppose this is an on-going effort. Right now, the children who expressed skepticism at me being her mom were just looking at how different we appear. I just don’t want Chica Marie to feel like, in order to explain our differences, she has to tell everyone she was adopted. I don’t want to see it become a burden to her. I want, like it was this past weekend, for her to answer affirmative, toss her hair over her shoulder and get on with things – easy breezy.
 
Funny, face-palm moment – On one of our walks down to the park we encountered a black woman, a pre-teen we know from the park, and the woman’s daughter. Love Bug walked right up to the woman and asked, “Are you Mommy V?” meaning his bio-mom. It was awkward for a moment as I quickly explained to Love Bug that it wasn’t Mommy V. We had a brief conversation with the very nice woman and then continued our walk.


Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

No comments:

Post a Comment