Wednesday, June 27, 2018

First Birthday Not in Foster Care


Today my precious Love Bug celebrates his first birthday with me as his official, legal mom. Luckily for me, this is his fourth birthday we have been able to celebrate together. Every year on his birthday I am reminded of the day we met in the empty hospital room. I can see the nurse wheeling him into the room and I caught my breath when I was finally able to lay eyes on the tiny sleeping baby with a head full of long dark hair. Love Bug was such a peanut and I was not terribly experienced with newborns (I had two infants in foster care briefly), but as I gently put on the outfit I lovingly chose for him, I inhaled the baby scent and promised him I would take care of him as long as he was with me. That tiny little peanut has grown into my little momma’s boy and now when I call him my baby he immediately corrects me, “I not a baby! I Love Bug!” His nickname fits him, as he is my most snuggly child who loves nothing more than sitting on the sofa next to me watching Thomas the Train. Even though he is no longer a tiny peanut, his favorite spot is still nose to my neck snuggled under my chin on my left shoulder. It is where he most often drifted off to sleep as a baby and where he still seeks comfort when he’s hurt, sick, or upset. Given we’ve spent four years together, it’s hard for me to imagine life without Love Bug. My train-loving boy is my sunshine. He is goofy and sweet and he has managed to capture my heart with his pure innocence and resilience. Here’s to many, many more birthdays to celebrate together!  

No comments:

Post a Comment