Monday, March 18, 2019

Getting Caught in the Rain


We need to buy an umbrella. Maybe more than one. Have you ever been caught in the rain for an extended period of time? The last time I remember walking in the rain was when I was in the Peace Corps in Nicaragua and a few of us were walking to visit a volunteer who lived on top of a steep mountain. As we plodded along our ascent, a rain storm blew in and dumped cool rain onto us for about 15 minutes before it passed, leaving the cement pavers steaming. The warm tropical air dried our clothes as we continued walking, so the rain storm was more refreshing than a nuisance. In Nicaragua, I was caught in the rain many times, but being wet didn’t bother me as much, since I knew I would soon be hot and dry again. That was many moons ago, and since them I am not one who tends to spend a lot of time in the rain. I usually just dash from one point to the next, trying to shuffle the kids along as quickly as possible. Friday evening I was not so lucky. Chica Marie had her first softball practice (technically the first was Wednesday, but we were only give a few days’ notice and we couldn’t make it). The day was unseasonably warm, into the 70’s I believe. The practice was held inside the gym of a school I’ve never been to before. There was no parking, so we knew we would be walking a distance. It had been raining but had let up when we were parking. As we started walking, the rain became heavier and then a steady rain, with some thunder (and probably lightening). We dashed inside the school and immediately I knew something was off. They were selling cookies and taking admission. For softball? No, it was a school play. The not-so-helpful staff said we were in the wrong place and the only way to get to the gym was back out in the rain. They gave us crummy directions and we were back into the warm Spring rain. As we trudged around the building the rain washed down our heads and our backs. It splashed up our pant legs and filled our shoes. We finally found the gym, on the backside of the building. Chica Marie faired the best, since she was wearing her winter jacket, which she could take off. Love Bug recently got a haircut and he was wearing light clothing that dried off by the time we were leaving. I was downright miserable in a heavy, wet sweater and squishy, sodden shoes. I started getting chilly as the practice wrapped up and was ever-so happy to get home and slough off the wet clothing and slip into something dry and warm.  

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.


No comments:

Post a Comment