Monday, August 14, 2017

Real Mom


She’s only 6 but Chica Marie has already used the “real mother” verbiage. It happened at dinner. I don’t remember what we were talking about but she told Primero to “go ask” to his “real mom.” Honestly, I think Primero was more shocked about it than I was; I thought it would happen this first year in kindergarten when the kids mentioned the racial discrepancy between her and I. Primero was also more offended by her off-handed comment, insisting she take it back and never say it again. He must have forgotten the times when he said “you’re not my real mom” in anger. I let it slide. I calmly asked Chica Marie what she meant by saying “real mom” and she didn’t really answer me. So, I told her that she, in fact, has two very real mom’s. One of her mommy’s had Chica Marie in her tummy and one of her mommy’s was helping her grow up, but both of us are real and both of us are her mommies. Primero took it a step further, pinching my arm and saying I felt real to him. It was odd having Primero so staunchly argue the use of “rea mom” but hopefully it helped Chica Marie to understand the term isn’t one we use in our house. Usually, just saying “your mom” is enough to indicate which mother we are talking about and if not, we use first names. Here on the blog I use bio mom but I don’t use that with the kids because it’s redundant. I wonder how old Love Bug will be when he pulls out the “real mom” wording?  

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder when I'll hear this. We talk about China Mommy a lot and my little girl did once ask if I said to do something and China Mommy said not to who she should listen to. (I said the one that was in the room.) It sounds like Primero had your back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that she said this but, man, what a gift for you to hear his response. At least you know that even when his loyalties are wavering, his heart knows you're real, too.

    I've heard the "you're not my mom" phrase used jokingly in a lot of cartoons. It's usually said when an older character is bossing a younger character around. Granted they leave out the "real" part, it's not unreasonable to expect a foster/adopt kid to make that connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting to read how your children working through these difficult ideas in their own way. I think your response was grounded and kind.

    ReplyDelete