Monday, March 18, 2013

Court Take I

I picked out cute outfits, put the three year old in my favorite dress for her, the baby in a cute sweater. I wanted them to look cute for court. I packed a small diaper bag with essentials; diapers, of course, wipes, snacks, a change of clothes for the three year old incase she had an accident, and a few small toys. Things to keep the kids occupied while they awaited the court proceedings. All for naught. The baby-sitter text me to ask what time court was because no one picked them up this morning. I was flabbergasted. I found out from an email this afternoon that court has been rescheduled for April 15th. A whole four weeks away! This means the kiddos, who were supposed to be with me for 6-8 weeks, will be with me for at least 13 weeks. And, no communication regarding the future goals for the kids. All I know is that court was rescheduled. I suppose I don’t need to know anything else…… Only, I do. And, in speaking with a friend who has been a foster parent for 10 years, I should at least be privy to whatever goal they are considering for the children. If the goal is still for reunification, then I can start preparing things for the children to be moved. If the plan has changed, um, hello? I am a foster-to-adopt home, so if reunification with family is no longer a viable option, wouldn’t it be a good idea to discuss other options with me? The lack of communication is starting to wear on my nerves and I need to say something about it before I explode. I am trying to find a tactful way of approaching the caseworker because I don’t know her and I don’t feel comfortable with her and she seems pretty distant to me. I think I might just email her and demand some answers. And if she is still reticent, then I will reach out to her supervisor and my family worker. I don’t think what I am asking is out of the realm of my purview. I guess I am just miffed because I so thought that today I would get some kind of answers. But, at least I did not purchase their Easter outfits in vain! We dyed Easter eggs on Sunday and had great fun. My dad was nervous that the kids would be leaving and wanted to do an Easter egg hunt next weekend, but I convinced him to wait until Easter Sunday. My intuition that I would have them for Easter proved correct. I guess now the wait continues……..   

1 comment: