Thursday, July 14, 2016

From One Fire to the Next


Things have been frustrating lately. At home, at work, daycare, with extended family and case managers. I feel like so many things are set to torment me right now, it’s hard to not feel like I’m in a constant state of irritation. Work has been getting increasingly more difficult, as our numbers remain low, so do our reserves and our moral. Last year there were a lot of changes, some do to retiring staff and some due to budget issues. The workload has not shifted and so now there are less people doing the same job as many more people used to share, with no hope for help in sight. Another big change is coming at the end of the year with our site administration (and my current supervisor) planning on retiring. I feel like a broken record, constantly lamenting the addition of more responsibilities for so few staff. Still, I’m lucky I have my job and that I like it, well most days anyway.

 

At home there are the usual suspects when it comes to irritants: laundry, dishes, dinner, and someone really needs to cut the grass! But, among those daily gems, it seems Primero and I have forgotten how to communicate. There was an issue over the weekend where Primero took exception to a comment my mother made about his uncle letting him drive the morning of my sister’s wedding (here). Primero got angry and sulked, but not only that, he called his uncle and told him what was said and got his uncle angry in the process. Primero created a us versus them situation that didn’t need to be. His uncle wanted to come to our house and talk to us that very night, but we got home too late. Then he was going to come Monday night but Primero and I started taking ASL classes, so he didn’t come. He was going to come last night. Primero went to the mall with a friend and so he wasn’t home. I asked him if his uncle was still coming (because we communicate through a teenager – this is part of the problem) and he said his uncle never got back to him. I guess he lost interest. I will take it upon myself to contact him, but I hate this whole mess. In addition to the mess, Primero finally got his first pay check and has been hounding me to open a banking account so he could cash his check. We weren’t able to do it on Monday and when I picked him up he was very upset, demanding he get to the bank. When I admonished him for being inflexible and downright rude, he snapped back, “Fine, then I’ll just get my uncle to take me.”  I didn’t know I was co-parenting with his uncle. I let him know, in no uncertain terms that would not happen. But, it shows his mentality lately and I really don’t know where this is coming from. When I did finally take him to the bank I was mortified and debased in front of the bank staff simply because I felt it was best I be on Primero’s account – he was arrogant and cocky, demanding I not be on his account. He only relented when the staff told him that having me on the account was the only way he would get a bank card. Primero seems to think he is all grown and do whatever he pleases and anytime I assert my parental guidance, he blows up like a belligerent child. It’s not been pretty. The irritation of Primero’s attitudes, the fighting about his family and acceptable boundaries, and this potential meeting hanging of my head have really set me on edge.

 

I dread going to pick the children up at daycare anymore. If it’s not a bad report on Chica Marie’s behaviors, it’s a report of Love Bug trying to harm himself by flinging himself to the floor in a temper tantrum. Or, he’s biting someone (which, as much as its hated, is age appropriate). And they tell me these things with hopes I have a ready solution and I often do not. Love Bug doesn’t fling himself to the floor very often at home and when he does there is someone able to safely lower him to the ground. This is not the case at daycare and they were actually concerned he had given himself a concussion the other day, that is how hard he flung himself to the ground. And then there is Chica Marie who gets written up twice in one day while her TSS worker was on vacation. She grabbed another child by the throat after luring a different child to a corner of the playground to kiss them. Her inability to stay still or in one place while we are grocery shopping has me at my wits end and her mother won’t sign off on the new medication she is supposed to be taking. She apparently wants to know what I think about it and so we have to have a conference call with the case workers just to appease her. Meanwhile, the therapy office wouldn’t permit her current prescription to be filled because they think she is supposed to take just the new medication when I thought the doctor said we were adding the new medication to the one she is currently taking. Massive mess all around! And, I have to give up my lunch break for a conference call. The irritation is mounting!

 

My mom got the full story about what happened the morning of the wedding out of me, she’s good at that. Sadly, it has been debilitating for her. I had asked my parents to watch the kids this Saturday, since they have only ever done it once and my mom is more mobile now with her ankle. I had a message from my dad last night that they can’t do it because my mom is still such a wreck about this whole thing. I’m feeling very done with it myself. I get she was hurt in a big way and lots of smaller ways but the wedding is over now. She has two choices, she can wallow in all that happened and all the pain it caused, or she can put on her big girl panties and move on. I’m sure you can guess which route I’d prefer. Still, she can’t get over herself long enough to be distracted by two cute (and mischievous, I’ll admit) kids? I was also pushing hard for this because twice recently my mom has made comments about not getting any grandchildren. When she mentioned this on Sunday I said, as kindly as I could, “You need to stop saying that, you have three grandchildren.” She meant to say biological grandchildren and she is most likely right about that, she won’t have any biological grandchildren. My siblings are disinterested in procreating and I am unable. But, I was hoping if she spent more time with the children she would begin identifying them more as hers. Maybe that is just wishful thinking, but it is most certainly frustrating!

 

The latest riff with the CHOR case worker (I feel she and I have been at odds quite a bit in her short stint as our case worker) is regarding new medication for Chica Marie. When we saw her psychiatrist the end of June and I relayed to him what I felt were skewed results from the daycare due to a new teacher coming just as Chica Marie was beginning the medication. I mentioned not seeing much change at home and so the psychiatrist thought to add another medication to what she was taking. It was going to be a low dose of a blood pressure medication to help her with excess energy and self-regulating. I naïvely email the case workers thinking this would be no big deal since everyone is in communication with mom and she was doing well, easy peasy right? I wish! Bio mom balked at having her child take “all those meds” and wanted a conference call with all of us, me specifically, to understand what behaviors dictated medicating Chica Marie. Now, I am not one to medicate children. In fact, the mobile therapist had to talk me into any medication for Chica Marie because I don’t want her to be a zombie or lose the essential part of who she is just because her behaviors are hard to handle. But, I also want Chica Marie to be able to learn and progress and with her starting kindergarten, I don’t want a bright girl like her to get lost because she can’t sit still long enough to learn. So, while the psychiatrist was pushing for stronger medications, like Adderall or Ritalin, I wanted to start small with room to build, if needed. Thus, a perhaps lesser effective medication that she might have responded to versus the medications I really shy away from. I’d be loathe to start her on those heavy duty ADD meds. Not only do I think those meds are a bit much for a child so young, I also worry about her having a family history of addiction and the possibility that this could set her down such a path. When I explained this all to the case worker at her home visit last night she said she thinks that’s just want mom wants to hear.  So, we set up a conference call for Friday at 2. Only, the case worker emailed this afternoon stating she has left a message for mom and hopes to speak to her about my thoughts on this whole thing and hopes this resolves the issue. If not, we are looking at a conference call next week. So flipping frustrating! If only they had terminated her rights last month, then none of this would be happening. Sigh. There’s no easy in foster care!

 

I think I just need a vacation from everything. I’m feeling worn down and tired. I’m feeling like I’m mostly incapable of handling the things swirling around in my life and I keep making mistakes. I feel like everything I do is a fight for some reason and I’m just getting weary. I’ve thought about beginning potty training for Love Bug, but I’m just too beat to consider it. I hop from one issue to the next, putting out one fire and onto the next, with little to no recovery time in between. I live my life waiting for the next shoe to drop, the next crisis to arrive for me to handle. If it isn’t one thing it is certainly another. What’s a weary mama to do? Just soldier on….

No comments:

Post a Comment