Monday, July 11, 2016

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow


I’m writing about my hair because the chaos in my life is too draining to rehash right now. I also discovered this was the topic discussed in #Microblog Monday’s on the Stirrup Queen’s website (Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.), so it fits right in! 

 

I wanted my hair long for my sister’s wedding, my choice not hers she had no preference for my hair length just so I didn’t die it a funky color. Last summer I talked about cutting my hair short but I didn’t do it, knowing I would regret having short hair for the wedding. I had offered my hair to my mom when she lost her during chemo, but she was adamant that I not cut my hair. So, I let it grow. And my hair was down to my waist. Once the wedding was over, it was time for my hair to go. So, Saturday was the big day, I set an appointment for my hair cut. I picked out the sort of cut I wanted after careful consideration on what would look good with my hair type. My hair is thick and not naturally straight but not super curly. I needed a cut that could handle some body. My hair went from being the longest it’s ever been to the shortest it’s ever been. I was going for edgy but ended up with cute  and although it’s more soccer mom than I would have liked it to be, it is fun and sassy. It’s SUPER EASY and makes me wonder why I kept it long for so many years. This, by the way, is not the first time I’ve gone from long hair to short in one cut. This is the third time I’ve cut my hair to donate it. My hair grows fast, so it won’t be short for long. I miss it the most when I wash it. My long hair had a life of its own, spilling into nearly everything, getting caught, needing to be moved around to avoid getting snagged, it makes me question my sanity for not cutting it sooner.  

4 comments:

  1. We sound like we follow the same hair plan, though I didn't donate my hair this time because it was just a trim. Though do you ever have regrets afterward? I go back and forth on it being so much easier and missing the long hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't regret cutting my hair off because it is so much EASIER! Sometimes, I feel a little sad because there are so many more styles you can do with long hair, but then I remember styles = work and it's summer and I hate the heat, so no, no regrets! Plus, my hair grows fast, so it won't be so short for long! Might I regret needing a scarf in the winter when my hair isn't there to keep me warm? Nah, I love scarves! :)

      Delete
  2. I do much the same - I grow it out until it starts driving me nuts, then I got get it chopped/donated. I always joke it's the fastest way I know to lose 50 pounds in a hurry (granted, my hair only *feels* like it weighs that much). Enjoy your new do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that sentiment! My hair was to my waist! And, it was getting to the point that I couldn't wear it in a pony tail because it was too heavy, it gave me headaches. So, it certainly feels like 50 lbs. have been taken off my head!

      Delete