Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Facebook Faux Pas


This past weekend was busy. It was a three-day weekend for me because I had off on President’s Day and the weather was glorious with very un-February-like temperatures. A few weeks ago I had been contacted by the little one’s grandmother asking to see the kids. She has not seen them since early November. I kept thinking she would contact me for the girls birthday’s in December or for the holidays, but nothing. I worried she was upset because I expressed concern and consternation about the last visit with her taking the little ones to see older siblings with only a texted picture to notify me. I was glad she contacted me and readily agreed to the date chosen. We met at Chuck E Cheese and she had Mini Momma and two cousins we’ve met before along. She and I sat and talked about things and it was nice, although I think I must be a conundrum to her. I expressed how I hoped the older siblings would reach out to the younger ones when they get older and how I hoped to keep a connection going with her so she might answer questions. I agreed to allow the little ones to sleep over at her place this Friday, although to be quite honest I’m a bundle of nerves about it. I know there isn’t as much supervision as I’d like there to be. I can’t be sure another visit with older siblings won’t occur and I doubt I’d even be made aware of it. I worry about Love Bug being upset at night because it’s been a very long time since he slept anywhere but at home. I’m trying to find some Zen about this whole deal and failing miserably. The only good thing is I will be at my Bible study and not sitting at home fretting.

 

During our time together, Grandma was fiddling with her phone (we both were) and mentioned having issues with Facebook. She somehow got into some beta mode and couldn’t get back out. Later that day I text her thanking her for the pictures of the kids and their cousins and for our nice afternoon. I also suggested she find me and friend me on Facebook. I have a lot of Primero’s family as friends on Facebook but zero for the little ones. I thought it would be a nice way to keep up with one another, even though I can’t post pictures of the kids sometimes I get creative and post their backs or a fuzzy shot of them doing something. Thus far, no friend request from Grandma. Primero suggested I just friend her. But, I gave her the option and she hasn’t taken me up on the offer, so it seems rude to insist. Maybe she doesn’t want that sort of relationship. Maybe she hasn’t figured out the whole beta thing yet. Maybe she feels that’s an intrusion. Maybe she wants to hide things. Maybe I over-think this way too much! Still, I had been thinking a long time about friending her on Facebook because, being the Facebook stalker I am, I have looked her up. I thought I was paving the way to more openness but instead I’m still waiting in limbo. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. I guess maybe she has her reasons? So hard to know. Or possibly she just hasn't gotten around to it yet. Are you sure your profile is searchable? Some people have their privacy settings that make them harder to find

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I'm searchable because I get other friend requests. You're right, there are a thousand maybe's and it is hard to know. At least I put it out there and so if/when she's ready she can send me a request and know I will respond positively....

      Delete