Monday, February 20, 2017

Memory Lane


It’s not often I let myself take a trip down memory lane, but every now and again I look back from where I was to where I am now. This time of year it seems I slip into that contemplative mode, probably because it is the anniversary of an ending and new beginning. I still feel the sting of things, but the searing pain has been dulled by the passing of time; five years to be exact. When I allow myself to look back and ponder the “what if” scenarios, trip down the paths not followed, I always seem to end up at the same conclusion – if things had not gone how they did I would not have the children and family I have now. I cannot have both, it is not a possible outcome. Had Flaco not left me and we were still together we might have adopted a child, but it would not be my son Primero and would most likely not be my babies Love Bug and Chica Marie. Flaco was opposed to transracial adoption and I certainly couldn’t see him accepting a teenage boy as his son. I think the only unexplored option that I still sometimes wish I could have taken was for more extensive infertility treatments. We really couldn’t afford anything beyond testing and a few rounds of Clomid. Could I have gotten pregnant with an IUI or IVF? I don’t think I will ever know that answer. And, even this path ends with the realization that I wouldn’t be where I am right now and I would most likely be married to a man I had grown to despise as a philandering, narcissistic, Neanderthal who viewed child-rearing as a woman’s job. Flaco and his new mate had a baby last month. I know this because I’m a glutton for punishment and I went searching for trouble on Facebook. But, as we all know, Facebook images are not the whole picture and a small snapshot view into someone’s life is not nearly the whole truth. Anyone can pretend to be happy on Facebook.

 

A friend and I were discussing our current love-less love lives and I made some comment regarding sadness over never knowing what it would feel like to be pregnant. She assured me I still had time, I wasn’t yet past the point of fertility at 35 as she reminded me her first pregnancy (and subsequent miscarriage) were at age 36. While I do mourn not knowing, and most likely never knowing, the feeling of growing a baby inside me, I honestly can say even if I met Mr. Right tomorrow I wouldn’t return to infertility treatments. If, by some miracle, I got pregnant I would be ecstatic, but I wouldn’t pump my body full of hormones and pursue expensive treatments until our wallets or my body gave out. I love my non-biological children and I feel I would be doing them a disservice if I so heartily pursued infertility treatments. Not only would I be a hormonal mess, but I would also not be present for them and that’s just not ok. My children are so wanted just the way they are, I would never want them to think otherwise or feel that somehow a biological child is more important to me. So, while I agree with my friend, I am not technically beyond the realm when it comes to biological procreation, I am certainly beyond infertility treatments. Could a doctor swirl together my eggs and his sperm and make me pregnant? I won’t ever know the answer to that question and I’ve become rather ok with that.    


Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

5 comments:

  1. I've been reading for quite awhile now and am shocked to learn how young you are! Based on things you've said, I thought you must be at least ten years older.

    I agree with your friend; you still have lots of time! And you don't "have" to have a man (you've already proven you can single parent well!). If you DID decide to pursue additional treatments, using a sperm donor could be an option.

    And I think everyone who has subsequent children worries about how it will affect their older child(ren). But it's not like your heart has a limited amount of love to give... -Polly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks. Yes, 35 is still young and I'm not trying to paint myself as "over-the-hill." Still, reproductively speaking I'm inching towards the downside of things. Much as it was a hindrance before, finances make pursuing pregnancy via sperm donor not a viable option. Maybe, if I didn't have my three kids, I could scrimp and save and give it a try, but I really just don't want to get back into that terrible place I was emotionally. It's better for me to write it off as a no-go than contemplate the possibility...

      Delete
  2. Those what ifs can drive you crazy, but it sounds like the reality in front of you is where your heart is full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What if's have such a power to hold us back from the beauty of what is. I don't dwell on it, honestly, but sometimes it's a thought that floats through my mind...

      Delete
  3. One of my favourite quotes is that "sometimes the answer is that there is no answer." Your last paragraph kind of says that too. And I love that you feel okay with it. For me, admitting we're okay with not knowing is liberating.

    ReplyDelete