Monday, June 19, 2017

Ch-Ch-Changes!


There is a great upheaval going on at my job the end of this month. People who have worked in my office for longer than I have been alive are going to be let go due to changes in labor and industry laws. There will be new people taking over their jobs, making for a lot of changes for those of us left behind. Granted, in the grand scheme of things, the changes for those of us who still have a job are nothing compared to those who are being let go, but still who likes changes? In addition to all the new faces I will be seeing, my desk is also being moved to a different corner of the large cubicle farm in our building. My desk will be different, as in different set-up, different storage options, heck even a different color. I’m fairly Zen about the whole thing, again, considering there are so many who are moving on into the unknown of unemployment. But, my new location will put me cattycorner across from a newly married, newly pregnant, oh-by-the-way-it’s-a-healthy-baby-boy co-worker. Go ahead and pour some lemon juice in that cut while you’re at it! She has just started showing but most people in the office have known for a while that she is expecting. I overheard another co-worker announcing it’s a healthy baby boy, since the pregnant co-worker gave her the results to shove in an envelope until the father could be informed. The other day, she was walking past my desk, talking to her friend and I heard her complaining about none her pants fitting anymore. Girl, that happens to me and I’ve never been pregnant! I know it doesn’t sound like it, but I do like this co-worker. She’s young and spunky and seems to do a good job. Her desk looks like it belongs in some Martha Stewart cubicle magazine, but I guess that’s because she isn’t mandated to display certain things on her desk. Although I think I’m managing ok with the whole thing, I dread moving near to her desk. I might need to invest in some head phones if she spends a lot of time talking about the baby and how she’s feeling and whatnot. On good days I’ll be fine. On less-than good days I will want to throw heavy things at her head. It’s hard not to resent, just a little tiny bit, the ease at which she moved through the life stages where I stagnated and nearly suffocated – engagement, marriage, baby. Just like it’s supposed to be. But, if I hear how she didn’t think it would happen so fast or that they weren’t really trying or some other blather, I don’t know that I will be able to hold my tongue…  

3 comments:

  1. I remember when my desk was right next to a pregnant coworker. She was also oblivious as to reasons that IF happened. I hear you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If she says these things to you, then I think you should be able to say something in return. Perhaps simply, and gently, that you're not the person who really needs to hear these things? It might at least make her think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah I agree with Mali. If she complains about pregnancy then you could reply with something like "wrong audience!" and hopefully she will be more sensitive.

    ReplyDelete