Monday, March 5, 2018

I Don't Pee When I Sneeze


Last week there was a baby shower for one of our co-workers. The third shower at work since October. I did not attend. My co-worker friend, who also did not attend, told me later in the day one of the supervisors came around to see why a lot of people from our area in the building didn’t attend (the pregnant co-worker is on a different team so we don’t interact much, which is why my friend didn’t attend the shower). This is the same supervisor who was sort of prying when I skipped out on the first baby shower back in the fall. She is now asking her team (she isn’t my supervisor but I work in close proximity with her team) who skipped the shower and me and my co-worker friend to chip in for a gift because we all missed the baby shower. Really? So, apparently baby showers are a mandatory function around here? I really hope no one else gets pregnant because I just don’t have it in me to attend a baby shower anytime soon.

 

Just a week after one co-worker left for the birth of her baby, a co-worker out on maternity leave came back to work. Her return was heralded by a cubicle decorated with balloons filled with confetti and streamers. I don’t know why it annoyed me as much as it did, but yeah, it bugged me. It’s not enough to have a baby shower, a brand new baby, but now a welcome back party? I guess some of it is because there was literally no fanfare when I became a mother. Adopting a teenager is nothing to party about….

 

“I’ve gone through childbirth, I can do anything.” This was uttered by a co-worker about to go on medical leave for an elective surgery. It was on the heels of talking with the new mom about issues with their bodies following child birth.  Meh, I have three kids and I don’t pee when I sneeze, so suck it you fertile bitches. I’m just in a really snarky mood today, apparently….  


Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, I don't understand the mandatory baby showers. And I really don't understand the welcome back stuff. The most anyone does at work is say congratulations and wishes well (online or in person). And this has been true both in the case of a foster placement and a childbirth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, no one has said the baby showers are mandatory, it just feels that way when my absence is queried. I'm fine with staff holding baby showers, so long as I have the ability to opt-out, since baby showers make me cry ugly tears...

      Delete
  2. Ugh. I'm so sorry. I don't get the whole welcome back cube decorating. But fertiles just don't think twice about things like that, and I know I'm so much more attune to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. Fertiles make a huge fuss of each other, and don't even think about what they're saying when they do that, or don't do that, as the case maybe.

    ReplyDelete