Friday, March 30, 2018

Oh Happy Day!


As March was winding down and the beginning of April was looming before us, it occurred to me that the promise of a date for finalization was met with more uncertainty. More than anything, I didn’t want to see Love Bug turn 4 and still be in foster care limbo. I was starting to freak out, to be honest. So, I emailed the CHOR adoption case worker earlier this week to see what was holding up the case. I was extra worried because our CHOR case worker had asked me to sign a release for the county case worker to speak to the filial therapist, and well, I don’t think she would give the most glowing report. My anxiety was heightened, to say the least. Fortunately, the CHOR adoption case worker responded to me explaining she needed to review our entire file with her supervisor, who had been out of the office on vacation for two weeks. I took a tiny sigh of relief, but I was still anxious to get a date and finally be done with this marathon case.

 

Two days after I emailed the CHOR adoption case worker, she called me. She had just been to see the lawyer and the paralegal said they were holding the date of April 11th for adoptions and so we should expect to be on the list for 1:30 in the afternoon. I will get paperwork confirming this date and time, but I was just so excited I could barely contain myself. I had to tell EVERYONE! So, I posted on Instagram and Facebook and then text people like the family therapists, the TSS, the former mobile therapist, my family and a few friends. Most people sent me words of congratulations. My mom said, “ok.” I’m trying to not let her Debbie Downer response ruin my joy because this has been such a long time coming.

 

When I picked up the kids at daycare, I shared our news with the daycare staff and the kids of course. When I told Love Bug he was getting adopted and we would all be a forever family, his response was, “You, me, Primero, Chica Marie, we family for ever and ever and ever.” Stretching his arms wide to show the length of time. Chica Marie had a more subdued response, mostly because she was mad at Love Bug for not sharing his candy-filled Easter eggs with her. Primero is mostly excited about missing a day of school (although, technically he could go in the morning). Ironically, I just finished signing all the yearly update paperwork for the daycare, so in a few weeks I will have to redo all of it, but it is so worth it. Our time has finally come! Oh happy day!  

1 comment: