Sunday, March 4, 2018

What I Really, Really Want


I made a decision. I sat with the pain for two days, struggling to make the whole thing make sense. Wednesday night was my first yoga class and I think all the twisting and bending broke the damn inside me and I began making peace with my decision. I knew, no matter what I chose, it wasn’t going to be what I really wanted. What I really wanted was both things, but that just wasn’t possible. So, I’ve chosen to walk away from this potential relationship. I know, at some future point, if I had kept going, trying to push myself to be ok with his choice, I would grow to resent him and the relationship would be ruined. I let him know of my decision and began mourning this loss. I liked him, I really did. We have similar humor, we get along very well and really enjoy one another’s company. And the sex – yes, please! All the passion missing from my last relationship came rushing into this one. Walking away from that is not easy. It hurts like hell. I just keep reminding myself that I need to hold onto what this brief relationship has taught me and that is, I can feel this passion again. It’s something that has been missing from every subsequent relationship since my marriage to Flaco. I honestly was beginning to think it was me, that I was so broken from that past relationship fail I could no longer feel the butterflies of excitement when someone kissed me. So, I’m glad to know that isn’t true. Now the question is, will I ever find that again? I won’t try online dating because it just never worked out for me. In my regular, every-day life I don’t generally meet kind, family-oriented, single men. The likelihood of finding that someone for me seems pretty slim-to-none, which also makes giving up on the current guy so poignant. Am I making a huge mistake? That’s a distinct possibility, but I guess there’s no turning back now. This too shall pass…….

2 comments:

  1. Having dealt with infertility in the past, I think you made the right choice. If you were ready to accept your family as is, and to put the dream of future additions (meaning children, of course!) behind you, then his decision would've felt right to you too, like a confirmation that it was time. You have just as much right to declare yourself not done with children as he does to say he is done. Sending hope and confidence of more good things to come!

    ReplyDelete