Sunday, September 25, 2011

Final Training

     Yesterday (9/24) Flaco and I had our third and final training at CHOR. It was shorter than the other two and we finished early before lunch and at the end of the day. We learned about the different mental illnesses the children in foster care might have and what the symptoms are and what treatments might be used to help them (by professionals, of course). Then, in the afternoon we learned about what happens if a child accuses a foster family of some wrong-doing (like hitting them or neglecting them) and how to avoid such accusations. The last part of the day was Consuelo asking two women in the training, who are already foster mothers, various questions about their experiences.
     After the lunch break Consuelo scheduled an interview with me and Flaco for Monday, October 4th at 5 pm. I am not sure what she will be asking us or what we will be talking about, but it is the next step. At that appointment, we will then schedule our home inspection. Which means we need to get our crap in order and like now!
     I was talking to my friend from work about what we need to get for our baby, as far as furniture. She recommended just getting a crib,a pack-n-play, and a dresser and that is pretty much it, until we know more about the age and gender of our baby. In addition to that we need other things, like cabinet locks and a place to lock up our medicine. And we need to move things out of the room to make space for a baby.
     I don't know why, but for some reason I am really nervous about the interview. I am terrified, in fact. I have been having nightmares that they will not "accept" us as adopting parents - that we will be denied for some random reason and NEVER NEVER get a baby. This started Friday night. After the terrible doctor's visit. So, hopefully the interview will calm my nerves. We will have to see. . . . .

1 comment:

  1. I think that irrational fear is totally normal. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete