Thursday, March 27, 2014

It's Decided

It’s decided, the kid stays. His case worker called me this morning at work regarding my request for the kid to be in respite Friday night while I’m at a women’s Bible study. After giving me the contact information for the other foster family, she asked if she could talk to me about something. I guessed what it would be, but let her ask me the question. She doubted the validity of what the kid told her Tuesday night but I confirmed that this was the decision I had made – I would work on getting the basement bedroom fixed up allowing the kid to stay and me to have an extra bedroom for an adoptive placement. I let her know that the kid told me about the other family being willing to take him and that I had told him my decision still stood as is, however it was now up to the county and CHOR as to where he would ultimately end up. The case worker told me the preference by and large was for him to stay with me. She stated the other home was just another temporary fix and it would be a tight squeeze due to their other foster care placements. The case worker felt that the kid had bonded with me and he was trying very hard to be on his best behavior because he really didn’t want to move again. I told her he was a gem and that yes, we do get along very well and I care for him which is why I am willing to accommodate him. She said she would speak to the other family asking if they would be willing to take the kid for a short time just in case I would get the call for a placement before the basement bedroom was ready. I told her I appreciated this and hoped I would be getting a placement soon (since it’s been nearly 6 months now). The case worker commented during her home visit this evening that "everyone" at CHOR was so very happy the kid can stay with me. The case worker commented he is just happier all around and has a better attitude about doing his school work and everything since moving in with me. I don't really know why living with me has made this difference, but I'm glad it has. And, as if to prove it, the kid brought home a book report project he did to increase his grade and he got an A+ on it.   
 
Oddly enough, the kid and I were talking last night and he asked what I did for Easter and I explained the holiday’s significance to him. He then asked if I celebrated Halloween which is a complicated holiday for me personally (I love seeing the kids get dressed up all cute and get candy but of course the reasoning behind the celebration is the troubling point). He asked what I did with past foster kids on Halloween and I explained that I had never had a foster child over Halloween or Christmas for that matter. He said he hoped he got to spend both Halloween and Christmas with me and when I responded “that’s a long ways away” he said, “I’m ok with that.” I told him I was ok with that too. Maybe we sensed the answer from CHOR/the county would be for him to stay? When I came home from work and told him the good news, he gave me a big, big hug and I think everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment