Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Life as I know it

Life is funny sometimes. The kid and I went to the CHOR training session last night and he was in a life skills class with his case worker and other foster kids while I learned about the hazards of social media with the grown-ups. The case worker eluded to having some news for the kid that he might not like to hear, so of course he demanded she tell him right then and there. It turns out she found him a new CHOR foster home and planned for him to start having respite over the weekends to adjust to the new home. The couple was also at training last night and she wanted to introduce him to them. That is until he dropped the bomb that we had been planning on telling her at her home visit on Thursday – I had agreed to have him stay. Well how do you like that? The kid goes from having no options and no homes to having two options in two homes. I assured him during our short drive home that this revelation did not change my mind, but that it is now a decision for the county and CHOR to make regarding where they think it would be best for him. He, of course, said he wants to stay and not go with “that ratched family” – I know this other foster family and they are not “ratched” they are very nice. I had a child stay with them for several weeks during the day while I was at work, until she became abusive to their little daughter and granddaughter. I think he would fit in fine with their family and I’m sure they would treat him very well. It’s just funny how this worked out, isn’t it? I get all upset about the situation, thinking the kid’s gonna be dumped in the street if I get a call for a placement, decide to keep him and almost immediately CHOR finds a suitable solution for him. I guess we will have a better idea of the outcome on Thursday. I did notify my family worker at CHOR regarding the whole situation, letting her know I had decided the kid could stay, but that it is now in the hands of the county and CHOR. I was also emailing her about a possible placement a friend sent to me for a little toddler girl. I have zero hope for the little girl because they seem to be leaning more towards a two parent home, but as I told the family worker, I would rather hear a “no thanks” than always wonder “what if.” So, my goal right now is to get the basement bedroom in order and then see where we go from there…….
 
 
My mom called me after work last night to let me know she managed to get the full MRI (even though she got sick at the end). We were praying the cancer was contained to one area and had not already spread like the doctor thought it had. And, we were hoping the MRI would give a clearer picture of this. Unfortunately, the MRI seemed to show the cancer was larger than the doctor thought and seems to be moving quickly. She needs to have another MRI with some kind of cable being threaded inside her breast to see the cancer better. They will also be putting the chemo port in at this time. I wish it weren’t so, but this is just one step of many which will require my mom to be strong and brave and face her fears. All I can offer is a “atta girl” as she slays her Goliath. And pray for miracle healing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment