Monday, August 19, 2019

Killer Pregnancy

Over the weekend I noticed Primero's uncle posted on Facebook, asking for prayers while he was at the hospital. I gathered, from the comment, that it had something to do with Primero's cousin, so I asked him if he knew what was going on. He said his cousin told him at his brother's baby shower that she was unexpectedly expecting. She had her tubes tied after her second child, but somehow became pregnant. She had just found out a few days before the shower and asked him not to share the news just yet. Unfortunately, the reason for the hospital visit and requested prayers was because the pregnancy was ectopic and she needed emergency surgery. I questioned Primero if his cousin wasn't freaking out having found out she was pregnant when she had thought she made that not possible. He shrugged and said she wasn't but I just could not understand how she would not be concerned. I would be calling my doctor right away. Maybe she doesn't think this way because she easily became pregnant and had relatively uneventful pregnancies. Perhaps she just thought a fertilized egg just slipped through. Oops! In any event, she is doing ok after the surgery and that is a good thing. I wish her a speedy recovery.


Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

2 comments:

  1. Having had two ectopics, I knew from your heading what the topic would be. Yes, I think a lot of people have no clue about ectopics, about pregnancies when they're on contraception, or have had their tubes tied. I'm glad she got the care she needed - sadly, women in developed countries still die from ectopics. I remember a woman contacting our organisation (when I was volunteering for it) and telling me that her insurance coy didn't classify an ectopic pregnancy as an emergency, so wouldn't pay for a hospital visit. I was stunned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I googled this I discovered that 1 in 200 women will get pregnant after getting their tubes tied and that it increases the likelihood of an ectopic pregnancy. One would think this is something a doctor would explain to a woman before performing the procedure!

      Delete