Monday, September 9, 2019

Stereotypical


My family could not be described as stereotypical, however, when we went back-to-school shopping my kiddos were the quintessential gender stereotypes. Love Bug needed new sneakers for school. He is not a fan of “tight” shoes, so I found a few sneakers that had the expendable laces and Velcro closures at the top. He had to choose from a blue pair or a black pair. He asked for black and we asked he sales associate for his size. Chica Marie was going to get a pair of flats because she already had sneakers in good shape. Or boots. She wanted the ankle-high boots. So, we got a pair in her size. Love Bug sat down, tried on his sneakers, declared they fit and he was done. Chica Marie tried on the boots but said they were too small (I did the toe test – you know, the one where you make the kid stand up straight then poke their toes through the shoe?) but they seemed to be fine. We asked for the next half-size up, only they didn’t come in half-sizes (what kind of shoe, besides flip-flops, does not come in half-sizes?). So, we tried the next whole size. Chica Marie said they fit, only I thought they looked sloppy and too big. When I easily snatched it off her foot, I proved my point. So, I suggested she try a different shoe, since no size in the boot seemed to feel comfortable to her. Meanwhile, Love Bug, content with his new sneakers, decided to crawl under the seats and shoe displays declaring he was invisible. I heard a chuckle behind me and when I turned I saw a man probably close to my dad’s age sitting in a chair waiting on his wife/girlfriend/significant other who was trying on a stack of shoes. “I too wish I were invisible” he said winking at Love Bug. I heard a murmur of agreement from another man across the room, also waiting on a female companion to decide on what foot ware to purchase. As I turned my attention back to Chica Marie, who brought over a pair of flats, I smiled to myself. Love Bug was being the typical male, find shoes, finish shopping. And Chica Marie tried on three different shoes in varying sizes before making a decision. I remember listening to a TED talk which expressed how consumers are not necessarily happier with more choices. Love Bug also seemed to fit this mold. Regardless, we managed to buy both kids shoes and Love Bug entertained the waiting men. An no one had a melt-down.  

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

No comments:

Post a Comment