Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Last Night


Last night was bad. For the first time ever I contemplated calling CHOR on-call for Chica Marie. The night was fairly typical. We came home at our regular time, around 5, and I made dinner. After dinner I washed the dishes and then gave Love Bug a bath. Chica Marie kept coming in the bathroom for various reasons. While I was washing the dishes she and Love Bug were running around and they accidentally ran into one another, bumping heads. Chica Marie cried about this for a long time and wanted an ice pack, which I told her was fine. So, after Love Bug was clean and changed in his pjs, I told Chica Marie it was time for her to go to bed. She was already in her pajamas because I suggested she change as a way to distract her from crying and clinging to my leg after the collision with Love Bug. I asked her to get a book to read and she was very sullen because Love Bug had been given a treat (by Primero) and she didn’t get anything. We read the book and she got mad because I said the scooters in the picture didn’t have training wheels. She then began griping about anything she could think of and crying. I let her sit on my lap and cry for some time, listening to her complain about things, like someone taking the candy bracelet her friend gave her at school, wanting to see her sister and have her over to our house, Love Bug getting a treat and her not getting one, and more things I cannot remember. Finally, she seemed to be calming down so I asked her to go to bed. She asked for the melatonin pills, but I explained that she needed to learn to sleep without them. She declared that without the pills she would be up all night, dancing around her room and (when I didn’t respond) the whole house (and when I still didn’t respond) my bedroom too (still nothing from me) and she would wake me up. I said, ok. Time for bed. She started yelling, “No, no no!” telling me she didn’t want to go to bed, but I calmly insisted she lay down. As I covered her with her blankets she thrashed about and began smacking herself hard in the face while screaming no and flailing about in her bed. The thrashing and flailing about is common, but I’ve never seen her hit herself like that before. I called to Primero asking him to find the on-call number for CHOR. Chica Marie stopped screaming and asked if she could go to CHOR, declaring she wanted to go to CHOR. I told her she wouldn’t go to CHOR, that I would only speak to someone and if they felt it necessary we would go to the hospital. I asked her if she could calm down (because she clearly could) and she screamed no and resumed thrashing about. I finally told her it was time for bed and I was going to leave her room. I left and got ready to take a shower. I could hear her screaming and banging on the wall. She banged so hard, something in the bathroom, on the other side of her bedroom, fell off the wall. I went back to her room to tell her she could not bang on the wall like that and so she just screamed and kicked her bed. From the moment we walked into her room until she finally ran out of steam and fell asleep, it was about 2 hours.

 

    I really contemplated calling on-call last night because Chica Marie was so out-of-control. I didn’t call because I knew they really couldn’t really do anything. I feel like I’m on a sinking ship shackled to enormous weights; I’m going down and can’t do anything to stop it. I don’t know what to do, I don’t know how to make things better and in my attempts to try something new, I seemed to have upset the balance even more. Previously, we didn’t have as much trouble with Chica Marie going to bed at night. This morning she was tired, which I know doesn’t set her up for having a good day, but I had no idea it would take nearly 2 hours for her to get to sleep. I don’t know what to do.

 

    One other brief story from yesterday. In the morning I usually let Chica Marie pick out the shoes she wants to wear but I hold veto power because sometimes she doesn’t pick appropriate footwear (like sandals when it’s snowing or snow boots when it’s hot). Yesterday she wanted to wear her black boots, but they didn’t really fit over her pants, so I asked her to change. She put on sneakers that I have told her multiple times can only be worn to play outside or when we are going to the farm because they are really worn out and have a hole in the top of the front toe. When I asked her to change her shoes again, she had a major attitude about it and we had a skirmish about the shoes. In the mornings I don’t have time for a 20 minute crying session to “connect” and get her to cooperate. I chose her gray boots, told her to put them on, and resumed getting ready. When I picked her up from daycare yesterday afternoon her teacher handed me a gray strap. The boots had decorative straps at the top and apparently Chica Marie tied them together and began hopping around until one of the straps broke. I know she did this on purpose because I made her wear the boots. I didn’t even bother talking to her about it, I didn’t give the satisfaction of seeing me angry that she broke her boots. But, I do find it infuriating.

 

    We had a meeting with her school yesterday to resume TSS services in the classroom. The new mobile therapist asked if I thought Chica Marie might have RAD (reactive attachment disorder). I said I believed she might have attachment issues, but I don’t think she’s RAD. I read more about it last night and the RAD diagnosis doesn’t seem to fit her, really. But, the ODD (oppositional defiance disorder) fit her to a T. What I read even mentioned ADHD/ADD as often a dual diagnosis with ODD and it seems, to my under-educated understanding, these characteristics fit Chica Marie’s behaviors completely. I will be sure to bring this up to her new mobile therapist and TSS worker and I’m hoping they might have some better ideas on how to manage than I’ve come up with to date. I don’t know how many more nights like last night I will be able to withstand….

13 comments:

  1. Oh my. That sounds rough. And it's even worse when it seems nothing is helping. Sending you a virtual hug and glass of wine. And chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Chocolate and wine sound fabulous right about now! And thank you for the virtual hugs, those are necessary too!

      Delete
  2. It must have been so hard for you dealing with those behaviours especially when you are trying something new in parenting.
    I too send you a virtual hug and glass of wine and having a wine for you.☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been hard. But, we've been stuck at hard for a long time, so I think I'm just getting resigned to it.... Thanks for the virtual hugs and glasses of wine! :)

      Delete
  3. Is there any chance that your working to connect with her has created a (technically good) situation wherein she's feeling "safe" enough to have these behaviors / act out bc of past trauma bc she's feeling more deeply connected to you, or is just now believing that you're someone she can trust, after all this time? Kind of a short term nightmare, long term gain situation, as she works through her past trauma?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sincerely hoping this is the case. And, I also feel like she might be re-testing boundaries with this shift, just because I'm not going toe-to-toe with her in the power struggles. You when you're in something it's just so hard to be objective about it? Like, can't see the forest for the trees type of situation? That's how I feel about this whole situation right now. In any event, I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing, at least for now. I also have plans to talk to her new mobile therapist about everything.

      Delete
    2. Hang in there! We're rooting for the success of your little family! <3

      Delete
  4. Given her maternal history, it would not shock me if my daughter followed that path. It would sadden me deeply and in all honesty, the thought of her repeating the cycle of dysfunction is what keeps me fighting. I'm sorry things have been so hard for you with your daughter. I understand the feeling of having PTSD from your child! I pray things will improve for us both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if I have ever commented before but I have been reading your blog for a loooooooong time and really enjoy it! My bio son has ADHD and I believe he has ODD. He does not sleep without melatonin. We went for the first 10 years of his life without melatonin and it was pure hell until the doctor suggested using melatonin....after that, life began to calm a little bit more because he was getting more sleep and had a routine at night that included falling asleep soon after getting in the bed instead of laying there for hours trying to fall asleep while not being able to lay still because of ADHD. My son is now 20 years old and has stopped taking melatonin (hasn't taken it in the last few years) and he still struggles with sleep and is always afraid to not be able to get up in the mornings for work because of not being able to fall asleep. As much as I dislike having to take medication and sleep supplements, I am all for getting a good nights sleep. My 9 year old has the same problems as my oldest and without medication he sleeps for about 3 hours a night and we have tried everything, essential oils, reducing sugar, no caffeine (he didn't have it anyway), relaxing baths before bed, limiting screen time, etc. Nothing was working and when I talked to his pediatrician, she suggested melatonin and we started talking about the affects of not getting enough sleep and what that does to anyone's temper, mood, attention during school, etc. It made enough sense to where I started melatonin and it has made a world of difference in his every day life. When my youngest son doesn't take melatonin, he doesn't sleep at all and he wakes up after a few hours and can't fall back asleep, etc. This to me is worth taking melatonin instead of fighting my children's moods after not getting enough sleep.

    I am not judging you in anyway and please do not take my comment that way. I just wanted to give you a little bit of history of my experience with melatonin and children with ADHD, ODD and my youngest son's ADD.

    Hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you are saying and yes, I do believe sleep is important (since I don't get any because of the little guy being a poor sleeper!). My chickadee is going to be re-evaluated by a psychiatrist and she is seeing her PCP soon. I have plans on speaking to these professionals about the situation and getting an idea on what to do. My worry wasn't in her using the melatonin, my worry was in her attitude about it. I'm probably over-sensitive because there is a history of addiction in her family and I worked in the addiction field and wouldn't want that for her. So, for right now she's not taking the supplement and I'm doing what I can to encourage a good night's sleep. Perhaps new medications will help her sleep better, perhaps it will come naturally as the behaviors decrease. In all honesty, I come from a family of poor sleepers and there isn't much they have found that helps consistently... Thank you for your comment, it's certainly something worth considering.

      Delete
  6. My 5 year old son (adopted from foster care) has ADHD and Anxiety. His behaviors are very similar to Chica Marie's. We used Melatonin to help him get into a good bedtime routine, it helped him get to sleep, but not stay asleep. My son has never slept through the night and I tried every alternative thing I could and nothing worked. We finally broke down and put him on anxiety meds and within 2 weeks he started sleeping SO much better. He's slept through the night 8 out of the last 10 days!! I've been parenting a long time and every child is so different, but I've always found that when I try a new parenting technique, connected parenting is what I'm using with my 5 year old, things always get worse before they get better.
    Hang in there! You are doing great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, parenting is not a one size fits all experience, that's for sure! As I mentioned above, Chica Marie will be evaluated by a new psychiatrist soon and I will also be speaking to her pediatrician about her sleep issues to see what they might suggest. I feel like the John Paul Jones quote is fitting right about now, "I have only begun to fight!"

      Delete