Monday, February 9, 2015

TPR Scheduled

The case worker sent me an email today stating the TPR (Termination of Parental Rights) hearing for Primero is scheduled for the end of March, not February as the county had hoped. Still, it’s a good thing to know TPR will be occurring soon because that means his adoption is just around the corner. I don’t really know what all needs to be done between now and then, but we are both anxious to finally get to the adoption day and beyond. Some days it’s still hard for me to believe this is actually happening. For most of the time he’s lived with me we have been talking about adoption to the point where I feel like it’s more of a dream than a reality. This process has dragged on since I was initially asked to “take custody” of Primero last year the beginning of May. It’s crazy to think it takes a whole year to for the adoption to finally become a reality. I don’t know if the TPR date pushes things back for the adoption, I’m still hoping for it to happen in May, but I certainly won’t hold my breath. When I told Primero that the TPR hearing had been set he was excited for the eventual adoption date, which made me glad. I don’t know if his worries have been sufficiently squelched, but he seems to be fully back on board with the adoption.

As a follow up to the information I posted last week, Primero’s bio mom had commented on his Facebook wall regarding the story he had written and sent to her to read. At the end of her comment she stated, “[My Name] you have done a great job with him. I’m so grateful to have you a part of him.” I didn’t initially see this post, so I only responded on Sunday, when I saw it. I said, “He’s an amazing kid and I’m blessed to have him in my life. His heart, his talent, and his creativity are his most beautiful qualities. I’m grateful he’s in my life too [Bio Moms Name].” I guess this is a start to building some sort of relationship for Primero’s sake. We are not friends with one another on Facebook, but I’m friends with Primero and two of his siblings, plus involvement with all but his youngest sister through other forms of social media and telephone contact. He was talking to one of his younger sisters yesterday while she was waiting for a bus back to town from NYC and he had her on speaker phone. At one point while they were talking about how they disliked that their youngest sister called her step-mom “Mommy” and his sister said something to the effect like, “Oh, not [My Name]. I consider her family because she treats you just like you’re her son.” I haven’t spent much time with this sister, not as much as his older siblings, so I’m glad she feels comfortable with her brother being with me – I think this will help Primero too as the adoption moved forward. I don’t necessarily envision we will be one big happy family, but Primero has expressed a need for his family members to be in agreement with his adoption, for he fears they will treat him differently after he’s officially my son. If he believes his family will not only treat him the same but invite me into the fold, then it will make it easier for him. I might be a little squeamish about it, but I’m sure as time goes on it will become more comfortable and like it always was this way.

 Last night the baby was lying on the floor in the living room and I had walked out of his line of sight for a minute or two. When I walked back over to him he got the biggest grin on his face and I almost started bawling. First of all, he has two little teeth on the bottom now, which makes him all the more adorable, but when he smiles his big happy smile it just melts my heart. And when he smiles like that because he sees me, I turn into a mushy, weepy puddle. He is my baby and nothing makes me happier than seeing him grin at me just for being in his presence. He is such a precious baby, even if he is still fussy at times, and I love him more than words can say. I’m so grateful I’ve had this opportunity to have him in my life and I pray we will be able to continue on as the happy family we are right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment