Monday, December 18, 2017

A Not-so Merry Little Christmas

I’m a fan of social media. I like peeking into the lives of other people, cheering their successes and lamenting their losses. But, this time of year I hate social media. So many family Christmas pictures! With matching outfits and adorable props! And I just can’t. I don’t want to sound ungrateful for the life and family that I have, and maybe I will just sound like I’m complaining, but geeze it’s not easy! I spend the holiday season gritting my teeth and wishing it were over as much as I try soaking in every last minute to remember it all. Sometimes it works out, but so often it feels like a giant waste of my time. We got our Christmas tree yesterday. Primero fought me tooth and nail to not get a real tree but I hate fake trees and really doubt our ability to keep a tree decent in our basement from year to year. So, a real tree it is. Primero was in a terrible mood putting up the tree last night, growling at the excited children and locking them in Chica Marie’s bedroom lest they interrupt his complaining. It was the total opposite of Christmas cheer. The little ones did get to put a few ornaments on the tree before being ushered off to bed, but it was not the Norman Rockwell Christmas I dreamt of when I was trying to start a family. I wasn’t even there because I over ambitiously decided to make two cookies for the daycare cookie exchange as well as two food items for gifts for the daycare staff, the teachers and therapy staff at Chica Marie’s school, and my co-workers. And, in the midst of my madness, I took the little ones to see the Muppet Christmas Movie at a local brewery, who offered free hot chocolate, cupcakes and the movie, so how could I pass that up?  So, when I finally sat down last night, at 10:55, and had a chance to reflect on the day, I had tears in my eyes thinking of how hard it is to squeeze out even the faintest of family traditions. Mostly, I just wanted to get it all over with, since it’s not like I could share family Christmas portraits on social media anyway. And, even if I could, it would show Primero with a grumpy face at being forced/bribed into the picture, exuberant Chica Marie, cherub Love Bug and an exhausted, slightly peeved me. Bahumbug.




2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you feel like this. My mother hated Christmas too - all the stress of getting everything done, then having to organise the children at the same time. She'd often refuse to put the Christmas tree up until Christmas Eve! (Until we got old enough to do it ourselves, once my father had got around to cutting cut down a tree/cut a branch off a tree.)

    It makes me wonder. Do many families actually have this perfect Christmas people dream of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I did as a child, but perhaps my parents perspective might be different? I like Christmas, I just wish it were a little easier. As a single parent, it's the finances that usually stress me out the most.

      Delete