Wednesday, December 6, 2017

All Systems Are Not Go


So, the friendly little nodule on my thyroid turned out to be not so little, according to the weight management doctor. At my follow up appointment with him yesterday he mentioned the nodule was quite large, noting it to be about 4 centimeters. He believed the endocrinologist would most likely biopsy the nodule in the office, but said he couldn’t be sure, based on the size. When I talked to my mom (she’s a nurse) about it, she said the biopsy is likely a local anesthetic and then a needle into my neck. The weight management doctor said it wasn’t a big deal to which I replied, “Easy for you to say, you aren’t getting a needle shoved into your neck.” He chuckled and said, “True.” My mom is a little worried about this whole thyroid thing, I’m sure it isn’t always comforting being a nurse, but I’m pretty indifferent. Mostly, I want answers, hopefully ones that will help me with my unbalanced hormones and extra weight. I explained to my mom my valid reasons for not wanting to take the medication to help with weight loss because it would also mean using the birth control pill which will not help with my hormonal issues. My mother seemed to think I could just tell the doctor I was celibate and call it a day, until I reminded her I have a boyfriend and no insurance company will let a doctor take a patient at their word. I feel very stuck because using the medication to help me lose weight might help regulate my hormones and make my bitch of a period calm down. But, if I am moving in a positive direction with my hormones (please dear God!), I don’t want to undo it all with the pill. Why must my body be so damn complicated? I notified the Nutritionist of the ultrasound results and also reported how I still spotted for a week before my period came and I had the worst cramps I’ve had in years. I mean, I always have cramps, but they are usually like a bloaty-heavy-blah feeling. Sunday I had cramps so bad I had to lie down. My cramps hurt so much they gave me a headache. Thank God Aleve helped so I could get up and make dinner, but I haven’t had cramps that bad since I was in my late teens, early 20’s. I don’t really want that to become a monthly thing. I go back to see the Nutritionist in January, so I won’t have any more information regarding my thyroid before then, but I will have another cycle (if my body cooperates, ha ha) to see if the progesterone is helping or not. Hopefully, answers and help are just around the corner. Fingers crossed.   

No comments:

Post a Comment