Friday, May 24, 2019

First 100 Days

I was finally given the report from the Early Interventionist for the evaluation for Love Bug. It was a long read. It was both eye-opening and unsurprising. While reading most of it, I heard myself protesting, "They haven't given Love Bug a chance." "They don't know how to get him to cooperate." But, I also answered myself, knowing even I wouldn't be able to get him to cooperate if there was something he really didn't want to do. A few times I found myself chuckling. I probably shouldn't have, but they had some quotes from Love Bug and it was just so him, I couldn't help myself. I know, it really isn't funny that my child can't manage to participate in group activities, but it was sort of funny to read in a dry clinical voice. At the end of the evaluation there was a list of resources, one being a document I could download called the First 100 days, meaning the first 100 days after an Autism diagnosis. I read it and one point gave suggestions on how to tell family members. I decided there was no point in not telling my family. We don't have an official diagnosis, but that won't stop the school from placing Love Bug in an autism support classroom. So, while getting a pedicure with my friend from work this afternoon, I text my parents and sister. "Love Bug has been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. We have more testing to do to help figure out how best to help him. I just wanted to get you up to speed and help to understand some of his behaviors." My mom responded to me privately "Ok." Then, "And I have cancer again!!!" I haven't really been able to process it all. I think mostly I'm terrified that this might really be the end. How many times can one person beat cancer?

No comments:

Post a Comment