Friday, November 8, 2019

No More Teenagers

Yesterday was Primero’s birthday. He is no longer a teenager. I definitely got teary-eyed thinking about how grown he is and how quickly it has happened. I miss the days when he used to snuggle on the couch and watch shows with me. I miss the times he spent with the family on our outings, no matter how grumpy he was about it. I don’t necessarily want to turn back the clock, because we are in a really good place right now, but I truly do miss those times with him. I feel like we have drifted apart slightly, but I think it’s the normal teen moving into adulthood drifting. I’m steeling myself for the day he decides he is ready to move out. I am one part super-excited because I feel like he’s on a good path and making good choices and I’m also terrified, worrying that his short time with me was enough to help him reach his potential. I’m sure all parents feel the same push-and-pull as their nearly-grown child spreads their wings and flies. It is especially poignant for me since I’ve only had a short six years to prepare emotionally for him to strike out on his own. I’m not saying he is totally ready, but I sense he is getting closer, so it is probably only a matter of time. I really want to throw him a big party next year for when he turns legal. A last hoorah, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment