Monday, June 29, 2020

Future Farmer

On Saturday Love Bug turned 6. For the last two months the only thing he has been asking to do on his birthday was go to the farm and help my dad bale hay. I text my parents asking if they could make this possible. Love Bug, my little morning person (the only morning person in my family besides my dad), planned to get up early (he woke up at 5:30 am) and take breakfast from Friendly's (he recently learned his favorite restaurant makes breakfast) to the farm so he could get out into the fields early. I don't know when or why Love Bug became fascinated with hay balers and other farm equipment, but it is in keeping with his interest in learning how things work. My dad was concerned about safety. The equipment is not for play and could cause harm, if Love Bug were to not follow the rules and listen to what he is told. So, I spent a lot of time prepping him, telling him how important it is to listen and do as he is told for his safety. He was so excited, he talked about it every day. On Saturday my mom called me. Not to wish Love Bug a happy birthday, but to express how inconvenient our planned visit was for the next day. She is planning on holding her annual Fourth of July picnic and needed to make sure everything around the house was perfect. She had "so many things to do" we could not make this an all-day event. We could come for breakfast, do the tractor ride and then peace out and go home. I could tell by her voice she was a breath away from cancelling the whole thing. I acquiesced to anything she demanded, just to make this day possible for my Love Bug. I finally watched Instant Family and balled like a baby over how excited Grandma Sandy was to attend the adoption of her grand-kids; how she loved them immediately. My mom is really missing out on some wonderfully special kids. 



Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too


1 comment:

  1. Oh, that's so sweet (Love Bug's excitement) and so sad (your mother's refusal to welcome your kids). I hope it went/goes? well for Love Bug.

    ReplyDelete