Monday, September 19, 2016

Back-to-School Nights

It figures the week I have to be in training an hour away two days is also the week both schools are hosting their back-to-school nights. It’s going to be a long and exhausting week, so my angst about doing nothing yesterday has somewhat abated.  


Tuesday night I will be attending with Primero and I hope to score a meeting with his guidance counselor from school so we can work out a plan for him to graduate. I know we need to meet for his IEP but I also want a solidified plan that Primero understands and can follow to get his credits and successfully complete school. I don’t feel like his IEP did a lick of good last year and I don’t know if it’s my fault, his or the schools or a combination of all three, but certainly there is plenty of room for improvement.


Chica Marie seems to be settling into school and by all accounts, she seems to be doing quite well. There have been a rash of untrue stories and some attempted manipulation of the TSS worker, but she isn’t the child who was suspended (how does a kindergartner get SUSPENDED?!) for fighting, nor is she the child whose mother was called during class for not cooperating. I know Chica Marie is still in her honeymoon period, so I’m not going to assume she won’t have troubling behaviors, but so far things seem to be going well and I hope that it continues.












Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope you survive all the back-to-school nights. As a teacher they are not my favorite, although it's great to see the parents, it is EXHAUSTING. Then I talked to my best friend this week and she had to go to three last week for her kids, and that sounds exhausting in a different way... I hope you get the answers you need. And YIKES -- suspensions in kindergarten? That's hardcore. Best to you in this busy, busy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hadn't thought about it from the teacher's perspective! I'm sure it is exhausting! Yeah, we don't live in the best school district and while uncommon in the elementary schools, the junior and senior high schools are notorious for fighting and even have a constant police presence. I guess I don't really expect answers, I just hope for an agreement to meet and discuss/develop a plan.

      Delete
  2. Hope the Back to School nights go well. Ours went so quickly that I could barely take it in. And I thought about how exhausted the teachers must be having already taught a full day on top of presenting for 2 hours that night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the fact that you make the effort to stay involved is huge I think. A guidance counselor once told me during one of my moments of frustration with some of the things you're dealing with: "At least your daughter has a strong advocate. A lot of kids don't"

    ReplyDelete