Monday, November 7, 2016

Birthday Hooky


Today is my beloved Primero’s 17th birthday. It is his third birthday with me and I cannot believe he is so “old” already! He has started talking about turning 18 next year and being a legal adult. I wish he would spend more time thinking about what his academic and occupational future will hold, but maybe that will come as the next year wears on. When I look back on the early pictures of Primero and I together it is easy to see how much he has grown physically and it also reminds me how much he has grown emotionally too. He is truly a gem, a wonderful young man and I am so proud of all of his progress and growth. I know he will eventually spread his wings and leave the nest but my heart constricts at the mere thought of it. I want to soak up all the time we have right now and bottle it for when he isn’t around as much, out doing his own thing. I know most parents feel this way about their child leaving home, but for me it seems especially poignant, given our short time together as a family. Cue the waterworks!
 
For his birthday I let him play hooky from school (I have never done this before, I promise) and plan on taking him to a dinner/movie place as a special treat. I took off of work to surprise him and spend some alone time with him, which we haven’t done in way too long. I also really want to plan a mother-son get away this coming summer, one last hurrah together before he’s legally all grown up. I might cry a good deal, so let me just refocus on him being 17 and enjoy this time right now. Happy birthday my sweet, precious Primero!

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter is now 21 and still quite happy about staying with us. It's nice to have an adolescent cherish that time together, since they've only had a short time as part of your family. I'm sure your son is also happy to know that you're always there for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Primero! What a great celebration that I'm sure he'll remember for years and years to come.

    ReplyDelete