Wednesday, December 28, 2016

AAA and Enchiladas


We are having car trouble again. Seriously. I ran to the grocery store last night to grab a few things to prepare for tonight’s dinner with friends and when I got back out to the van it wouldn’t start. I called AAA (thankfully my parents gifted me a membership last Christmas and just renewed my membership again this Christmas) and asked to have my battery jumped because I thought that was the problem. When the AAA battery guy came the van still wouldn’t start. He said it was my starter. Fortunately, after about a half dozen clicks he got it started and I was able to drive home in time to put Love Bug to bed. Then I had dishes to wash and enchiladas to make because tonight my friend who lives on the other side of the state is coming to visit with her husband. I only see them once a year between Christmas and New Year’s. Today my dad came by the house in the morning and the same multi-clicks on the ignition got the van started so I could trundle us all off to daycare and work and my dad could drive the van home to repair the starter, which is only a year old, I might add. Unfortunately, when he brought the van back to me he locked the keys inside and I exhausted my 4 roadside assistance get out of jail free cards with AAA. Did you know it cost $50 to get your keys from inside your locked car? Sigh.

 

So, my friend who is coming to visit is a fellow PCOS sufferer. Her and I used to commiserate on our lack of ability in procreating but then I became single and a mom so we don’t chat as much as we used to. I think it was three years ago, just before Primero moved in, that I invited them over for an enchilada dinner. At the time I wasn’t in a very festive mood (I had been selected to take in a 3 week old baby only to find out a few days later he was going to an aunt – I call him the Christmas Miracle baby and you can read about him here and here. Since then it has become our tradition, which was fine when it was just me but has become more cumbersome with the children. I don’t want to throw my mom status in her face, but as a stay-at-home housewife, my friend has no idea how much coordination and hard work goes into preparing a meal, especially after working all day. I know inviting us over isn’t an option, since they stay with her parents, but maybe offering to bring food rather than adding more stress to my already burgeoning plate. I begrudgingly made the enchiladas last night and then washed the dishes and was able to sit down for 20 minutes before bedtime. In addition to the car troubles, we don’t have a working dryer and the sinus cold I thought I beat is back with a vengeance. I feel like poo and would much rather soak in a hot bubble bath than entertain guests. At least all I have to do is pop the enchiladas into the oven and whisk up some cilantro lime rice and dinner is good to go. Of course then there’s clean up….. Sigh.   

No comments:

Post a Comment