Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Second-chance Adoption



This past weekend our foster dog Skye was adopted. Again. She had been with us since the fall and had been adopted once before in January only to come back two weeks later. She is a good dog who has some anxieties when meeting new dogs. Last weekend the little ones and I spent over an hour at the new home, just getting a feel for the young woman who hoped to adopt Skye. I was very straightforward with everything I could think of regarding Skye’s behavior and temperament. This has been a tough placement for me. Twice Chica Marie and I took Skye to meet and greets only to have her rejected. It hurt my heart because she really was a loveable dog, if only someone would give her a chance. She reminded me of some of the kids I’ve met in foster care, the kind of kids who are a little rough around the edges and slow to warm up to anyone but have such tender hearts. Part of the problem, at least for some of the people, was how she looked. She was part pitbull part lab but she looked like a pitbull with a wide chest and big square head. She had a big bark but was really just a sweetheart. She loved the kids and we never had a problem with her acting aggressive with anyone who came into our house. She was good with recall and seemed to want to please when it came to training. I really like her new mom and my hope is she has found her forever home. We loved her and while keeping her was an option it would have meant we could no longer foster because three dogs is enough in our small home. Not to mention being able to afford a third dog, which would be a tough stretch. I’ve text with her new mom since the weekend and Skye (rename to Mazie) seems to be doing well and settling into her new home. As each day passes I relax a bit more, thinking she is happy and pampered in her new home.

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely. Like any fostering, it must be so hard saying good-bye. I'm glad it seems to be working out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know how you and the kids do it. I would want to keep them all.

    ReplyDelete