Thursday, July 19, 2018

Holding My Breath


I have not yet been able to talk to my mom about what grandparent name she wants to use. When we visited her a few weekends ago for her birthday, I talked to the little ones on the ride to the farm. We agreed to start calling my parents Grandma P and Grandpa J to try to phase out Miss P and Mr. J as their names. It was very awkward. Chica Marie also caught on that my sister and brother-in-law would be her aunt and uncle and she had great fun calling them Auntie A and Uncle S. My parents didn’t seem too receptive to their names but made no objections. At one point Chica Marie called my father PopPop, which is what we called his father, and I think that stung a little. I don’t think he wants to be PopPop. When I can catch my mom in a good and reasonable mood, I would like to talk about it with her, but that is such a moving target and there are so many other elephants marching around the room, it seems nearly impossible to find a good time to bring it up.

 

I did see my mom this past weekend, briefly. My dad dropped her off at the oncology unit early in the morning so she could get fluids and she needed a ride home, so I took her. She spent some time berating me and my siblings (who were not there to defend themselves) for not being there for her, for not understanding out critical her situation has been. She informed me she was diagnosed with stage 3 advanced ovarian cancer. I didn’t really say anything when she accused us of not caring. It was the way she saw things and anything I say would sound like a lame excuse to her. Why didn’t I come see her after her surgery? She laid at home for 7 weeks waiting for us to visit (I added the last part, she didn’t say that although it sounded implied). Well, I didn’t visit because I thought she needed to rest. I did try checking in with her regularly but I guess that wasn’t what she wanted. Going to visit would mean taking the kids (because it is getting harder and harder to convince Primero to watch the kids) and I worry that having the kids there stresses her out. See, lame excuse. When I got her home I helped her with laundry for a bit before leaving and she seemed to be in a little better mood. She was hospitalized briefly on Monday and called me on Tuesday when she got home because she was very angry about how the hospital handled her medical needs (I’ll post more about this separately because it really has me irked). So, maybe we’re ok again? I’ll just keep holding my breath….

No comments:

Post a Comment