Monday, June 18, 2018

Mr. and Miss Grandparent


For all of my foster children I have introduced all adults, including my parents, as Miss First Name and Mr. First Name. One set of kiddos called my parents Grandma and Grandpop, but the rest of the kids have called them Miss P and Mr. J, including Chica Marie and Love Bug. But, now that the adoption is finalized I’ve been thinking about how to transition their names. I had tried, many moons ago, to strike up the conversation with my mom and she quickly changed the subject. And I’ll be honest, at this point it’s gotten hella awkward. When I took the kids with me to see my mom in the hospital, I cringed every time they would say Miss or Mr. I don’t really have any idea how to undo this. The little one’s have always called me Mommy. Sometimes, when she’s feeling puckish, Chica Marie will call me by my first name but she quickly reverts back to Mommy. She has asked a few times why Primero is permitted to call me by my name, but isn’t placated by my, “Because he is,” response. Someday she might understand. Still, I never transitioned from My Name to Mommy. In fact, all the little ones have called me Mommy even when I have introduced myself as Miss A.  I guess maybe I thought my parents would be interested in assigning whatever grandparent name they want to be called. I thought maybe they were waiting for finalization to pull that trigger. But, nothing has been said. I called my father’s parents PopPop and Nana. My mother’s parents were Grandma and Grandpa, but since my mom’s mom died when I was five and my grandfather disappeared from my life, I just call him by his name. I think a lot of the family gets rubbed the wrong way by that, but I don’t think he can disappear for 13 years and still expect to hold the title of Grandpa. My dad’s father earned his PopPop status. He was always there for us. I think my dad would make a good Pop or Grandpop. I always thought my mom would go for a cooler grandma name like Gigi or something. I guess the biggest issue, regarding what my kids should call my parents, is really the very large elephant in the room, which is what do my parents call my kids? Only once have I ever heard my parents (it was actually just my dad, my mom was not around) claim my kids as their grandchildren. My mom does not brag to her friends about her grandkids the way I’ve heard some of her friends go on and on about what they do with their grandchildren. I know my mom has been sick, but even when she wasn’t sick she had little interest in spending time with my kids. So, maybe they should just stay Miss P and Mr. J…..



Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

3 comments:

  1. Names/titles can be so awkward! Maybe though, now the adoption is finalised, that it is time to revisit the conversation? And maybe if the children call them grandma/dad (or whatever variation), it might be easier for your mother, especially, to think of them as grandchildren too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they could transition from the Mr / Miss [first name] to some form of Grandma / Grandpa [first name]. Later they may shorten to just grandma / grandpa naturally. We do that in our family with folks who are analogous to grandparents, like grandparents of the kids' friends, or grandparents to the kids second cousins. We don't care about the actual familial relationship but want to reinforce the respect and role.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a complex situation. I really like what Mali said about revisiting the conversation. They are your kids and it needs to be addressed. Maybe your mom reacted that way to protect herself, in case the adoption didn’t work out?? Maybe she, too, is navigating having foster grandchildren and doesn’t know how to speak about it.
    And Anon has a great idea about transitioning names that makes a lot of sense.
    I hope you find a way to change the situation that everyone is accepting of that also fulfills your heart’s desire. Much love.

    ReplyDelete