Monday, April 23, 2018

Handyman/woman


The amount of yardwork I have to do right now is overwhelming me. The dogs destroyed our grass, so I have to replant it which will be hard because it’s where the dogs like to spend their time outdoors. Additionally, because of the same grass-wrecking dogs, I have to repair/replace a lot of the fencing around the yard. This is all in addition to the usual weeding and cleaning out the flower beds. The weather has been a hamper to getting things done, with so many chilly and rainy days. This weekend was nice, but still on the cool side. Instead of getting my own work done, I was at the farm helping my dad clean leaves out of my mom’s flower beds. It is a source of anxiety for her and, if not done, she will attempt to do it herself when she should be resting and recuperating. So, as I said to my father, “Anything to keep her sitting!” I’ll need to squeeze my yardwork in during the week. Sadly, I think it’s going to rain tomorrow and Wednesday.

 

In addition to the outdoor things, there are inside projects I’ve been too timid to attempt. I’ve had a new bathroom toilet sitting on my porch since last year that I need to get the gumption to install. But, I really wanted to replace the floor before/during the new toilet installation and I’m fearful I won’t be able to manage to correctly install the tile flooring. We have been unable to shower since the beginning of February because the rubber ring in the spout broke and so we are stuck bathing. It’s been ok, but summertime really calls for a shower, not a bath. I could cheaply replace what we have for our clawfoot tub/shower but I found a much nicer option that is very costly but it has a showerhead and a hand shower. I’m fearful of purchasing it because it is costly, not sold in stores only online, and I’m not confident I will be able to install it without calamity. I wish I had the money to pay someone to do these things for me, but I don’t so I’m going to have to work up the nerve to do it on my own. I wish there were some sort of handyman classes I could take to learn how to do home improvement projects. I have such great ideas in my head but next to zero ability to accomplish them. Too bad being handy isn’t hereditary because my father built our family home. I wish he had spent more time teaching my these handyman things, but I suppose it’s one of those cases of the teacher appearing when the student is ready and I just wasn’t ever ready. Is there some skill you wish was hereditary?   



Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

3 comments:

  1. I've been amazed at the variety of YouTube video tutorials - lots of instruction and ideas. Maybe there's something on there that could help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like with craft things and hair things I can watch a video and get it. But, plumbing stuff? I don't know. Replacing the floor? Maybe? There just seems to be a big leap from video to real life, for me anyway....

      Delete
  2. I totally agree... It's not as easy for me as for some! But I've been encouraged by a few videos.

    ReplyDelete