Tuesday, January 31, 2012

One week

I wanted to post last night, I had a lot of things on my mind that I wanted to say, but after coming home from grocery shopping, putting everything away, washing two sinks full of dishes, and getting some items ready to be mailed, I was too exhausted. Yesterday was Flaco’s first day alone with the baby. In the morning they took me to work and then Flaco went to play soccer with some friends. They play in an indoor gym and he took the baby along. Apparently, the baby nabbed a basketball from a group of men playing on a court near them and was just going and going and going until they got in the car and the baby fell asleep on the short car ride home. I was distraught (I called not long after they got home) because the baby took a nap before he had lunch. Plus, this was getting him off the schedule I had him on (which was apparently so important in the decision to place him with us!). Flaco fed him two chicken fingers and some mashed potatoes for lunch and then played with him and tried to work on removing the rug from the baby’s room to put in a (fake) wooden flooring. Why, you ask, did we not replace the flooring before we got a two year in the house? Well, this was not something we had really planned to do, but Flaco got a good deal on the flooring from a friend who bought too much when he was renovating his house. And the rugs in our house were to craptastic that they are just not holding up. Needless to say, Flaco did not get too far in this process because of trying to make sure the baby did not get under foot. Because of this flooring issue, the baby could not sleep in his bed last night. He had to sleep with us. But, I am getting ahead of myself. 

Flaco and the baby came to pick me up at work and they got here a few minutes early, so I brought the baby inside to meet some of my coworkers. He was as charming as ever, happily doodling all over a note pad I have on my desk. We went home and I called a friend of mine to get some suggestions and tips on starting cloth diapering (more on this later). The baby would not have it. He wanted my full attention and NOW. Plus, he was hungry again and of course, Flaco did not get anything out to make for dinner. So, I suggested we go out to eat. We went to a local Mexican restaurant and the baby was really a good boy. He made a moderate mess and flirted with the waitress by dropping his crayons every time she walked by so she would stop and hand them back him. He ate almost all of the chicken from my enchilada, some rice (I tried to feed him some guacamole and the face he made had me laughing until the tears ran!!), and a few of Flaco’s French fries. By the time we got home it was nearly time for the baby’s bath and then bed time. Flaco tried to work on the flooring while I bathed the baby and got him ready for bed. Feeling brave after speaking to my friend, I strapped on a lovely new orange cloth diaper for the baby to give a whirl. Flaco and I decided that he would stay with the baby while I went grocery shopping (we both agreed it would be faster if I went alone, rather than the three of us trek out together). So, Flaco settled the baby in bed with him and I went to Target. 

I got lost in baby world, seeking the items on my list of things we need. I found some more socks for the baby and the baby treats he likes (the Target brand was on sale!). I got some spill-proof sippy cups and baby spoons a baby toothbrush (which I now think is lost somewhere in our bedroom) and baby toothpaste. I bought some other grocery items and returned home. The house was quiet as I unloaded the car and put the grocery items away. I peeked in our room and saw the cutest site (unfortunately, it was too dark to take a picture). The baby was sleeping in Flaco’s arms his little hand gripping Flaco’s neck and their foreheads were touching. It just melted my heart! I set about trying to get things in order and as I was ready to climb into bed (it was nearly midnight!), I felt something wet on the sheet. It turns out the cloth diaper I put on the baby was leaking. Or, rather, the person who put the cloth diaper on the baby might have put it on too tight or something . . . . I chalk it up to user error. Undeterred, I put another pad in a second diaper and fastened it on a sleepy and now grumpy baby. This morning the second diaper had on came open, but there was no leakage. I think it came open because I had to many liners in the diaper, since it was crazy thick. I will keep working on this! I need to get a few more diapers to switch the baby to cloth full time, but it is something I really want to do. I think most of my coworkers who have children (or grandchildren) think I am bonkers, but I want to use cloth diapers for several reasons. One, I hate having stinky diapers sitting around – even if we did get a diaper genie. Two, I think it will be a money saver versus constantly buying disposable diapers (and considering I have already he-manned one diaper and tore the velcroe off before even getting it on the baby!). Plus, my family has an organic farm – not that we are tree-hugger hippy greenies (not that there is anything wrong with people who are green, hug trees or identify themselves as hippys) – but, we like things that are natural, healthy and renewable. Enter, the cloth diaper. And, they are so freaking cute! So, I am going to surf a few websites and get some more cloth diapers and give it the old college try. Even if the baby doesn’t stay with us, I will keep the diapers for the “next” baby.

Speaking of the baby staying with us. I was so hoping that Flaco would be as smitten with him as I am after spending two days straight with him. But, last night as we were falling asleep in our clean, pee-free sheets, Flaco asked how long the baby would be staying. I said I didn’t know, until we made up our minds. He asked if I wanted the baby to stay and I said I did. He said he didn’t think he did. I keep praying that Flaco will change his mind because I am already heads-over-heels in love with this little boy and I don’t want him to be anywhere other than with us. I try not to think about the future and just enjoy caring for this bouncing (off the walls) baby boy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment