Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Family Size


A few months ago I wrote a post discussing how one determines the size of their family. I contemplated whether or not I was selfish to adopt Chica Marie and Love Bug in addition to Primero as a single mother. For whatever reason, this was on my mind while I was washing dishes the other night and the following is my tongue-in-cheek revised ideas on this topic.

 

I spend a lot of time thinking about, planning for or around, worrying about, cleaning up after, directing, redirecting, talking to, talking about, and just generally with the kiddos. It’s safe to say they take up a giant chunk of my time and energy on a regular and daily basis. There are three of them (four, if you count reluctant and distant ones), so I have to be sure to spread my energy and time around seeing to the unique needs and wants of each child. What if I had just stopped at Primero? What if, after it was decided he was staying, I said, “hey we’re good!” and not taken in Love Bug or Chica Marie? Well, for one thing, there would be a lot less mess to clean up, that’s for sure! But, think of all that time and energy dumped into just one child? Omg, I would drive him insane! If I had all my time and energy focused on just Primero, that kid would be beating me off with a stick, I’m sure! He wouldn’t know what to do with me! And he would probably be spoiled beyond reason, since I wouldn’t be asking him to help out as much because the little ones are so demanding of my time. The nights he goes to the CFA for the drama clubs I would have 3 ½ blissful hours all to myself! My goodness, what on earth would I do? I could get a pedicure after work, meet a friend for a drink or two, or just sit down and read a book uninterrupted. My heavens what would that be like?! I’m fairly certain our lives work better with the balance that we have so my focus can shift from one kid to the next and not become overbearing for one child. I think the only one of the three who would be content to be an only child is Chica Marie and that is simply because she has a voracious need for attention and there is no such thing as too much attention for her. Primero would quickly grow weary of me always being there in his business and Love Bug would miss playing with his sister or having Primero play music for him. Love Bug adores his older siblings, as much as he gets jealous of them when they seek affection from me. As a family unit, we work so I guess that’s all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment