Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Breaking Up In a Small Town


 In the nearly 6 years we have been separated I have never bumped into my ex in public. The last time I had seen him was in September of 2015 when he randomly showed up at the neighbor’s house. We did not speak. Last night I had to get a few groceries. In my attempt to be more economical when it comes to grocery shopping, I’ve begun shopping at Aldi’s. Most of the time I still have to go to my regular grocery store, but I do get cheap things at Aldi’s. Usually, I try to not take the children with me when I have to go grocery shopping but sometimes Primero and I divide and conquer, which is what we did last night. I prefer to take Chica Marie because she is occasionally helpful, but last night Love Bug really wanted to go with me and Chica Marie really wanted to stay with Primero. So, the wee one tagged along. We went to our usual grocery store first and then Aldi’s. Love Bug was mostly well-behaved but he was getting tired of grocery shopping. He refused to sit in the cart, so when we were leaving I made him hold my hand to walk across the parking lot. He was on my left and I was guiding the cart with my right hand. We walked out into the night and I saw a Hispanic woman who looked familiar to me, but I couldn’t place where I knew her. I assumed it was from work and so I smiled slightly to her until recognition hit me. I had never met her but I had seen her face when I was foolishly Facebook stalking my ex. It was his wife, girlfriend, whatever. The smile was slowly leaving my face as I noticed him walking a few steps behind her. He had this stupid, cocky grin on his face which I met with a stone-faced stare before I looked away. Love Bug and I kept walking, but I was a little shaken by the chance encounter. I was hesitant to walk the cart back to the store, but I wanted my quarter back. Love Bug just wanted to eat the white cheddar popcorn he picked out and he babbled on and on to me, oblivious to my discomfort. I really hope to never run into my ex again because the flood of bad feelings that hit me were hard to shake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment