Thursday, January 31, 2019

But I Won't Do That


It has happened more than once (sadly) where someone has threatened Primero with bodily harm. On each occasion, he insisted his family, mom, siblings, uncles, would ride into his rescue. Not me. I guess he sees me as too much of a pacifist, since I don’t advocate violence or getting into physical altercations. Maybe he has never seen the momma bear side of me. The side that would tear through a solid steel wall to get at someone hurting my child. I try, unsuccessfully, to not let it bother me because I know the real truth. Sure, his family might be willing to jump into the fray, but when push came to shove they were not there for him when he was taken into foster care. Maybe this is just fantasy for him, to pretend they would be there for him to lessen the hurt of the times when they were not. I don’t know why it bothers me so much because, in a sense, Primero is right. I am probably not going to retaliate by physically fighting someone who has caused him physical harm. But, that does not mean I would let it go. There are legal actions I would take, starting with filing a police report and seeing that the perpetrators get their just deserts in the judicial system. I suppose, to Primero, that doesn’t give the same satisfaction as returning a punch for a punch, but in my mind it is the more mature way of handling the situation. I suppose, you could argue, I am being more vindictive because the legal ramifications could be more long-reaching that a black eye that would heal. The bottom line is, I want Primero to know I would have his back and it hurts me when he lists all family members but me coming to his aid.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're right. Super heroes and super powers can look many different ways. And in the bigger picture (which our kids can't always wee), brains tend to lead to better outcomes than does brawn.

    ReplyDelete