Thursday, January 24, 2019

T-Ball


Love Bug has expressed tepid interest in playing T-ball. When I asked his early interventionist therapist her opinion on him playing a team sport, she gave me a litany of tasks I would need to complete before Love Bug would be ready to actually play a team sport. And now I am thinking, is it worth it?
 
I love baseball and softball. I played both for several years when I was a kid and have been thinking about finding a local grown-up team to join. I’m not trying to force my kids into anything and if they never play baseball, I will be fine with it. But, when I asked Love Bug and Chica Marie if they would want to play t-ball Love Bug immediately said, yes! Chica Marie at first said yes, then no. She was still on the fence when we were at Target last week and I decided it was a good time to buy Love Bug’s glove. Chica Marie wanted a glove too and agreed to join the t-ball team. I only have one rule when it comes to sports; the kids can join any team they like but they will play the entire season. They are part of a team and the team is depending on them being there for every practice and every game. If they don’t want to sign up again after that season, that is fine, but they will finish their commitment. Chica Marie wanted to join karate. After the first session she signed up again but didn’t really like it anymore. There were a lot of tears, but she finished out the second session and didn’t sign up for a third. The actual sign-up for t-ball is this weekend. Chica Marie’s latest worry was having to wear a hat when playing t-ball. We shall see what her response is when it is actually time to sign up.
 
Love Bug has not waivered on his choice to play t-ball but I don’t think he really knows what he is saying yes to. His interventionist felt he would need significant preparation so he would not just shut down and refuse to participate. Purchasing the glove, and a tee/pitching machine was my first step in preparing him. His interventionist feels I need to try to walk him through every possible scenario of the game and what would be expected of him. I don’t know if that is possible, but I will start by explaining how the game is played (an old movie titled Blast from the Past comes to mind with a scene of the father (played by Christopher Walken) trying to explain to his son (played by Brendan Fraser) why a runner has to move from one base to another comes to mind). The interventionist also felt like I needed to prepare some contingencies for when Love Bug has down time or has to wait his turn, like having him hand out drinks until it is his turn to be up to bat. That sounds terrific but….. How do I gracefully insert myself into the mechanisms of the t-ball team so that Love Bug doesn’t get singled out and so I’m not stepping on anyone’s toes? I am not a helicopter parent, I had no plans on hovering around Love Bug while he played (and there might be rules about where parents are allowed to be). But, I don’t know if I can ask the coach to give Love Bug chores while he is trying to keep all the little players under control. When do I approach the coach with my requests? How do I describe what Love Bug needs without making disclosing his diagnosis? I really want Love Bug to enjoy playing baseball, I want him to enjoy being on a team and have fun. Is that possible for him?
 
Ultimately, I am hoping we will have a TSS worker for Love Bug by the time he starts practice and perhaps they can help me make this all make sense. If not, I will try my best. At the end of the day, it is not the end of the world if t-ball isn’t for Love Bug. There are plenty of other things he can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment