Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Scariest Moment


Last Monday I had one of the most frightening experiences of my life. I know for a fact, I was much more scared than when I was bit by a dog in Nicaragua. I was more frightened than the time a bat flew out of the latrine and bumped into my bare bottom, also while in Nicaragua. I was more terrified than when I was four and getting my tonsils out or driving on the paved road for the first time. Scarier than free-diving off a cliff into a murky pond (Nicaragua) or traveling alone in Greece (not scary at all). This experience really had me shook to the core.

 

On New Year’s eve I worked a half-day and then scooped up the kids and took them home for lunch. We relaxed for a bit (I dozed off a little) and then went to the complex where Primero works for some fun. They were having prize balloon drops, so the kids could earn points to play games for free. There was a rock wall, which I paid to have Love Bug hang by a harness and Chica Marie to climb a few feet off the ground. The kids were anxious to get to the game room. Love Bug loves the driving games, even though he can’t really reach the pedals and he never wins. He loves making the car swerve around the screen and pushing the button for the nitrous oxide to make it go faster.

 

Love Bug was playing his second round of a driving game when he lost interest just a few moments before the game was going to end. I hated seeing him waste the time not finishing the game, so I stepped on the pedal and finished it for him, while he stood impatiently behind me and watched. It was mere seconds, no more than 30 I’m sure, but when I turned around to ask him where he wanted to go next, he was gone. Sighing, I looked around, expecting to stop him at a nearby game. The arcade was buzzing with activity, many young children and their parents were playing using their free points.

 

Chica Marie sat down next to Love Bug’s game and started playing. “Where’s Love Bug?” I asked, scanning the room for him. She shrugged and started playing the game. I told her I would be right back and I walked around the room. I didn’t see Love Bug anywhere, so I did another lap. After the third time I circled the room, I started moving from concerned to worried and anxious. “Chica Marie, where is Love Bug?” I demanded, hoping she had seen him. She got up from her game and started walking around with me. I could feel the panic setting in as we made two more sweeps of the room.

 

When we first arrived, Love Bug wanted to go upstairs to the ball pit game. Maybe he went up there? He also knew where Primero’s friend worked in the trampoline park, maybe he went there? This place was huge! And it would be so easy for someone to scoop him up and make off with him. My heart was racing and I was in full-on panic mode. I called Primero as I tugged Chica Marie around the room, frantic. Primero didn’t answer me, so I text him begging him to call me. He called and as the words, “I can’t find Love Bug,” left my mouth I started to cry. I was now looking for a staff member to call an Amber alert and shut the place down so I could find my child. A man with an older child noticed the sheer panic on my face. Just as Primero showed up, I spotted Love Bug’s sky blue Thomas the Train sweater and black curls. I grabbed him in a fierce bear hug, feeling so much relief. A confused and frightened Love Bug asked to play another game, as if he hadn’t just been missing, kidnapped and gone but a second ago. The man who saw my panic came over to ask if everything was ok. I explained I had lost my little guy and was freaking out, but I found him so no need to call in the SWAT team. For the rest of our time there I made Love Bug hold my hand. Mercifully, the points soon ran out and the children chose their prizes and we went home to settle in for the night.

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

No comments:

Post a Comment