Monday, January 14, 2019

Lying Lairs Who Lie


I keep doing nice things, kind things, hoping to attract good karma, reap what I sow. Instead I feel like my life is one big lie, a grand deception. This morning I was half-impressed that Primero was awake on time, getting himself out the door in time to get on the bus and not have me take him to school. He even got up early enough to take the trash out, since he forgot last night despite my multiple reminders. As I progressed through my morning, I realized my flat iron was missing and asked him where it was. His friend who has been staying with us used it but he insisted she had put it back. She was not home, having spent the night at her sister’s. Primero had told me her dog was stashed quietly in the cage in their room in the basement. I rarely go into their room, but I wanted to be sure my flat iron wasn’t there. I didn’t knock, knowing the room was empty, barring the dog. As I flung open the door I saw the dog lying on the floor and it caused me pause. How did he get out of the cage? As my brain made sense of what my eyes were seeing Primero yelled at me for opening his door and his friend blinked up from her bed, awoken by me flinging open the door and turning on the overhead lights. I thought I was in a dream for a moment until my brain churned the answer into my conscious thought. Primero lied. He concocted an entire, lengthy lie because, according to him, he wanted to stay home to sleep. The pain of the deception brought stinging tears to my eyes as Primero pulled out every single thing he could to make it all my fault. I was the one in the wrong because I didn’t knock on their door before entering. I had no right, he told me the flat iron wasn’t in their room. And on and on it went. We rode silently to school where I wished him a good walk home, implying he would lie to me again and not go into school. The worst part was Primero didn’t care that this stupid decision just obliterated any of the trust we had been building up since we started family therapy. He simply doesn’t care, so why should I?


Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really sorry about this, although I have no idea how to deal with it. Though I do suspect he yelled at you because he was feeling guilty for lying, and didn't like being caught out.

    I hope you found your flat iron.

    ReplyDelete