Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Belated Father's Day


For the second year in a row, we didn’t really celebrate my dad on Father’s Day. Last year my mom was mad at me and my sister, so they went away for the weekend. This year, my mom was not feeling very well after her chemotherapy and my dad didn’t want to tax her with a celebratory meal. Conversely, last year on Mother’s Day my family and my sister and brother-in-law waited around for hours to see our mom after she got home from the hospital. This year we had a nice breakfast at Cracker Barrel to celebrate my mom. These minor events show a greater picture of the relationship my parents have. In my opinion, my mother is more selfish and self-centered than my father. I suggested we try to do something low key this weekend for my dad. I’m not sure if it will happen. The kids and I did take him a card, one I felt really spoke to how I feel about my father. It expressed how much he meant to our family and thanked him for being a hard worker and helper, which I feel he is for us. The kids gave him big hugs and I know he appreciated their affection. I know my father is a more simple man, content to receive little appreciation. I wish we could do more for him because I think he deserves more than what he gets. I know my kids appreciate him. Love Bug is enthralled with my father and everything he does around the farm. He is always so excited to help him build the camp fire to roast marshmallows and he loves when my dad takes him for a ride in the truck. The last time we were up to the farm, Love Bug sat on the porch swing and talked my dad’s ear off, about what I do not know. They are buddy’s. I’m glad they have that special relationship. My dad is a very special man and a very good father.

No comments:

Post a Comment