Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Pregnant Lunches


Why is it still so hard for me to be around pregnant women? Why do I still want to strangle them as I politely listen to them blather on and on about this and that worry or new issue? There is a co-worker who is newly pregnant. She just got married over the summer and they began trying immediately since she is already in her early 30s. I remember a conversation earlier this summer when she mentioned her cycles are longer than normal and how she thought that might make it hard. But, no, she’s preggo. And she isn’t even that far along and already I’m fed up with having lunch with her. Because that is all she, or any other woman that joins us for lunch, talks about. “Well, when I was pregnant with little Frankie, I did this and that and didn’t do this and didn’t do that.” Gag me, please. I shouldn’t feel this way, I have a baby and he gave me zero stretch marks and labor was a snap. I’m being facetious.  Yes, I am over-the-moon happy to have the baby with me and I hope he stays forever and ever, but the final rub for me is knowing I will never experience the whole pregnant thing. Get over it, right? Mostly, I am, but sitting at lunch having to busy myself reading Facebook posts just so I don’t go ballistic at hearing how her body has changed so much and doesn’t feel like her own and how she’s eating this and that but worried about eating lunchmeat and hotdogs. Ugh! Shut it already! I shouldn’t be so mean, and in real life I’m not, but in my head I’m screaming, “Don’t you get it?! That every complaint you have, every irritation or bother is something I would KILL to experience?!” I hate to say it, but I think pregnant women will always bother me. I don’t want to be that way, but I find it very hard to be anything but polite and lukewarm; I can’t gush on and on like some people can. I think they should treasure their pregnancy and never take it for granted that their reproductive system works as it should. But, that’s me seeing the world through my lens of infertility. I’ve never been pregnant. Barring any miraculous situations, I won’t ever be pregnant. So, excuse me if I don’t want to hear all about your pregnancy day in and day out. I just don't......  

No comments:

Post a Comment