Monday, February 1, 2016

Getting off the Drama Train


We had a very drama-filled weekend. Esperanza had a fight with Primero over something she was told he said. Did you follow that? She was upset because a supposed “friend” told her that Primero said something to the effect “well, if she’s 18 then why did she have to come to us for help?” And this resulted in her storming off and refusing to talk to Primero or me. All because of a rumor. I tried to talk to her at the house before she ran off, but she wouldn’t discuss the issue with me. Later over text she told me that’s just how she is, she doesn’t talk about things and I can’t change her. Er, what? The whole drama simply showed how emotionally immature she is, despite her chronological age. As an adult, it is not acceptable that if I were to get upset over something I just run off. And, even worse than that, when she did come back she acted like nothing had happened. No. Not acceptable. I have plans to have a serious heart-to-heart with her because the whole thing is simply insane. My heart really broke for Primero because at one point Sunday afternoon he broke down in tears. He felt like he lost his sister and it hurt him more than words could say. Primero is not prone to tears. The only other time I saw him cry was after court with his mother last spring when it seemed like everything was going exceptionally well and Hermano would move back home very soon, while TPR was looming for Primero. That too broke my heart.


It’s strange how my word of the year, stay, popped into my head during this whole debacle. When I was trying to get Esperanza to see herself as a part of our family, the word stay flashed in my mind and it came back several times during the ensuing madness. We have gotten so used to Esperanza’s presence in our lives that it seems hard to imagine how things would be without her around. I know it would be exceptionally hard for Primero because he’s so happy to have a piece of his original family with him and thoroughly involved in his life. The trouble with the word stay is that it needs voluntary cooperation from the other party for it to work. This complicates things since everyone has their own free will and can make choices that jeopardize the act of staying. One might attempt to stay the hand of another, but ultimately, they will be unsuccessful if the other is not willing to participate. Oddly, this leads to another stay idiom, which is to stay the course, meaning keep on keeping no matter the obstacle. And I think both of those ideas were what was on my mind regarding Esperanza. No one has ever stayed the course with her. She even admits that herself. Whenever she had a blow up issue occur the result was she found herself out on her ear, tossed away with her problem to land on someone else’s doorstep. Why then shouldn’t her reaction to problems be to run away? So, I must stay the course and try to overcome the obstacle of her past to help her through it as well. It’s not an easy thing. Just like it isn’t easy helping Chica Marie through her issues. Fortunately, Primero and I click a little more and our personalities align a little better in terms of dealing with conflict than do mine and Esperanza’s. That doesn’t mean we can’t make it work, it just means there’s going to have to be a lot of give and take to reach mutual understanding.

 

I became a foster parent officially on 12/6/2011. Never did I envision myself where I am today four years ago. Some of that was naïveté – I assumed I would still be married and I assumed adoption would be hard at first and then get easier. I was wrong on both accounts. I was wrong in my assumptions about Flaco and his true desires for a family and his feelings towards me. I was also wrong to think adoption got easier. It doesn’t get easier, you just get better at it and more accustomed to the drama it can create in your life. You get better at putting on your big girl panties and dealing with it. I remember speaking to Primero’s therapist who likened adoption to marriage, in that two families became one. I saw this from Primero’s point of view, but I didn’t consider it from my own. Yet, I’m as much a part of Primero’s family as he is a part of mine. Our lives have become entwined to the point that I’m trying to help (and parent, as much as she will let me) his older sister, while worrying about his older brother (Hermano) and trying to stay in touch with his eldest brother (let’s name him Mr. J) and younger sisters (we are hoping to go to his younger sister’s game this week to watch her cheerlead). I’m known to all of them (although I’ve had much less interaction with his youngest sister because sadly her father doesn’t let her spend much time with her siblings) and even connected through social media. We spend holiday’s with his aunt and uncle and I’m getting to know some of his cousins. These are things that I had never considered, in fact it never entered my mind. In part, I think this is because I never had the intentions of adopting an older child who would have a greater connection to biological family, but also because I simply had no clue how this whole adoption thing worked. I think I’m still learning and I know I’m still growing into my role as adoptive/foster/acting mom. I wish I could say I “got this” and knew how to handle every situation I find myself in, but I don’t. I wish I could say I always remembered to check my expectations and preconceived notions about certain behaviors or developmental progress, but I can’t lie and say I haven’t been frustrated in dealing with certain things. And I don’t always hold my tongue when I should stay quiet or speak up at the right time so I don’t miss the boat. Nothing leaves me second-guessing myself like parenthood!    

No comments:

Post a Comment