Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Baby Prepping 101


I spent the better part of morning at work trying desperately to not hear a conversation between my co-worker and her customer and handling the emotional fall-out from failing to avoid what they were saying. I’m not in the most sympathetic place right now, which will probably be evident. My co-worker is pregnant with her first child. She is due in December. She was answering the customer’s questions on how prepared she is for the new baby and she expressed fear in only having the glider, changing table, and crib set up in the baby’s room. She stated she was anxious because not everything is ready and she is worried the baby will come early and they won’t be prepared. When I was a new “mom” for the first time the only thing I had ready was a crib, which we quickly needed to convert into a toddler bed because our “baby” was two. The first time I had an infant, I had roughly 2 hours to get home from work and dig the car seat and bassinet out of the basement before not only the newborn but her older sisters showed up on my doorstep. I’ve never had a glider. Or a proper changing table, for that matter (I sort of made one on the end of a long dresser – it worked fine until Love Bug got too big!). It is entirely possible to go with very little baby paraphernalia, barring formula and diapers, in all honesty. And, she has a husband who can make a Target run for anything she cannot live without. I had to call my mom to help me take the three girls out to buy the oldest a coat since it was November and she came in just a long-sleeved tee-shirt and pants. I had a little more time with Love Bug; an entire weekend to get prepared seemed like a luxury compared to just a few short hours! I guess I can understand the anxiety as a new mother, but I just never had the luxury of 9 months to prepare for a specific child, just generally gather things I might or might not need, depending on the age of the child coming into my home. And, oddly enough, my first child – the one who actually became mine legally – came as a teenager, so no crib needed!    

No comments:

Post a Comment