Thursday, August 10, 2017

Some Answers


I met with the Nutritionist/RN on Monday to review the results from my lab work. What I had guesstimated was mostly correct – most of my levels were considered within normal range except my LH levels (hormones that show if my ovaries are working or not, as is the case with mine) and progesterone. But, while my levels were technically normal they were flirting with being too high or too low and so the Nutritionist/RN recommended a whole host of natural medications to help.

 

She started with my iron and Vitamin D levels. My absorption of iron was low but my overall iron level was fine. So, she has me taking three iron pills in the morning and this weird Vitamin D paste (because you need Vitamin D to help your body absorb iron) that I have to lick off my hand. I think the iron pills might be giving me headaches and if they persist I will have to ask her about it. Next, she prescribed a medicine that will help stabilize by cortisol levels so I can get better sleep. I take three pills at night before bed. The progesterone is prescribed as a lotion that I was instructed to rub into the crook of my elbow from days 12-26. The cream is being made specifically for me and will be shipped to my house once it is ready. Hopefully I will get it by day 12 (today is day 10). I am taking two pills twice daily to help my LH/hormone levels and I have a teenie tiny little pill I’m taking for my thyroid twice a day. As she explained it, my thyroid is sub-clinical and would not be treated by a regular MD but she feels it is lacking. Basically, if my thyroid was a baseball team, I have a pitcher tossing a ball but I have no bat to hit the ball.

 

Never have I ever been on so many medications! And, they were quite costly too! But, she is testing my thyroid again in 6 weeks and all my levels again in a little over two months, so she hopes I won’t have to be on these medications indefinitely, which is good because I don’t’ think I could afford it! I just still cannot understand why this level of explanation was not done when I was going through infertility? I’m sure they did some of the same lab work. I remember the nurse telling me that whatever levels indicate egg quality (or was it quantity?) was on the low side but still ok. I remember the doctor feeling my thyroid and thinking I might need to have an ultrasound done, but never sent me for it. Could the measures I’m taking now have been effective in helping me get pregnant in the past? It’s hard to not think about it and feel fairly annoyed. I suppose, when you go to an infertility doctor their goal is to get you pregnant and not necessarily to “fix” out-of-whack hormone, endocrine, and adrenal systems – I mean, what money is there in that? There is really no point in looking back and thinking, “what if” because that is only painful and not helpful in the slightest. I’m hoping that I will begin to feel better physically and emotionally as my systems balance out and stop working against me. The Nutritionist/RN believes losing weight will be easier too when my body is in better working order. Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Yea I don't think IVF doctors do enough to find and treat the actual issues!

    ReplyDelete