Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Extra-curricular Activies


Chica Marie is getting involved in some extra-curricular activities. For children in her school there is an after-school bowling group once a week. The bowling alley provides transportation to the facility and parents must pick up by 5:30 pm. This program runs until just before Christmas. I agreed to allow Chica Marie to participate, but warned her if I get one report that is not following the rules or being uncooperative she would withdraw. In addition, she has joined the cheerleading team. Due to poor communication and my own issues (more on that in a minute) she is  behind because she didn’t start practice with the other girls. She did make it in time to get sized for shoes and a body suit to wear under her uniform. She practices twice a week at the local high school. And that is where my issues come into play. I have a terrible sense of direction. Just the worst. It causes me anxiety to go to a large place and not know specifically where to go. So, when the first email came out after signing her up for cheerleading, all it said was go to the local high school. It didn’t say, this is when you will learn when practice starts so be there or be square. No, the email made it sound like an option. So, we were busy and didn’t go. After a few emails cancelling practice (due to excessive heat) and finally a parent night. Still with the same vague directions. I fought my anxiety to get us there. I almost went home when it wasn’t clear where to go at the high school (keep in mind this is a HUGE building that I am not familiar with at all, I think I’ve only been there once or twice). Fortunately, I kept fighting and we made it to the practice. And, I was persistent in learning what I needed to know because information was not shared in a logical order – at least not to my befuddled brain! So, I now know practice is Tuesday and Wednesday evening and the games are early Saturday mornings. And, I need to stock up on coffee because I’m not a fan of early mornings. Go team!

No comments:

Post a Comment