Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Not My Child


One of my coworkers recently enrolled her three year old daughter in daycare for the first time. Previously, her daughter had been cared for by family members and was the only young child in their care. Since starting daycare, her daughter has been bitten twice. Both times she complained loudly to other coworkers about how upset she was and how the daycare shouldn’t let that happen and should be more strict with the children, etc. My blood boils as I listen to her act like her daughter is a little saint and the other children must be devilish heathens to have bitten her innocent angel. First of all, toddlers bite. It’s kind of their thing. Second of all, you were not there and you do not know what instigated the incident. No, your child should not be bitten but I highly doubt she is being “targeted” as this mother insists. This is her only child and she does not have plans to have another, so maybe she does not realize how common it is for young children to bite one another. It’s a way of communicating that adults need to monitor and intervene, but it is not generally vindictive. This morning I overheard this mother proudly telling other coworkers that she told her daughter to scream and push the child away before she is bitten again. There is probably some underlying issue going on, but this mom is not interested in learning that dynamic. She just wants to villainize the other child and make sure her daughter never has any negative interactions. I’m not condoning biting, but Love Bug had a few biting incidents in daycare because his verbal skills were lacking. He needed to be taught words to use instead of using his teeth. I would have been very upset if I had overheard this couple’s berating the daycare because my evil child was targeting their perfect daughter.

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

No comments:

Post a Comment