Monday, September 10, 2018

Tattoo of Support


Chica Marie had her first cheerleading game this past weekend. Not many of her teammates make the 30 minute trek over the county line, especially since summer’s grip on the weather finally released and it was cooler and rainy. We were barely on the sidelines of the flag football happening prior to Chica Marie’s game when we saw some familiar faces. Primero’s youngest sister was there with her step-mom. We waved hi and then I noticed the dad was coaching both the  boys (who happen to attend the same daycare as my kids). When we finally joined the group of cheerleaders I discovered one of the girls is the granddaughter of one of my co-workers. Later, when talking about it with Primero, he expressed frustration with himself for not asking to see his sister’s tattoo. Her what?!

 

Ok, I know tattoos are not the taboo they once were and, despite my personal preference, they are very commonplace. Primero’s sister is 14. Just turned 14 this past summer. And she has a tattoo on her arm. Sure, her dad is a tattoo artist and all, but still to get a permanent tattoo at 14 is insane to me. I cannot remember what I was really into at 14, but I hazard to guess I wouldn’t want to be stuck with it now. Primero explained the tattoo had something to do with Down’s Syndrome, in support of their nephew. You know, the nephew she didn’t want to hold when he was first born, the one she hasn’t seen since? Call me crazy, but that doesn’t seem like the best way to support a cause. I guess I’m just old-fashioned when it comes to body ink. I have no tattoos. I always said I wanted one when I was a teenager but I never got one and now I am so very glad I didn’t because it would have been a butterfly tramp stamp. Lame. Recently, Primero was trying to talk me into getting a tattoo with him and I found one I liked but I was really on the fence about it. This seems to show me I should not get one. It seems, these days, it’s more unique to not have a tattoo….


Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

3 comments:

  1. I’m picturing a big tattoo of NSync on your bicep... 😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm old, so no tattoos for me. As you said, we can look back, imagine what tattoo we might have wanted as a teenager, or 20-something (or in my case, 30 or even 40-somethings) and cringe! But yes, 14 does seem way too young. Ear piercings maybe, but not a tattoo!

    ReplyDelete