Thursday, October 4, 2018

Debate


I hate politics. I hate the bickering and fighting. I hate the twists and spins on every story and detail. I hate the polarizing and inability to get along with any semblance of human decency and respect. And, I really hate that there are so many people who characterize and stereotype the “other side” to the point that you’d think they were an entirely other species and not human or American at all. Most of all, I have very little respect for politicians. I respect the folks who collect my garbage and recycling much more than I respect the folks who supposedly represent me in local, state, and federal government. I do vote, it is my civic duty after all, but it feels just like that, a necessary and undesirable duty. My inner history major reminds me of the time in a not-so-distant future when I would not have had the privilege of voting, which keeps me returning to the poles, but it’s like flossing my teeth or cleaning the toilet; just hold my breath and get it over with. It seems every year I detest the chore more and more.

 

Given my dislike of politics, debate, if it is civil and focused on the issue not personal attacks, is not something that bothers me. In fact, one of my favorite classes in college was a debate class I took while studying abroad in Greece. So, when Primero invited me to attend the presidential debate at his school yesterday afternoon, I relished the chance. Mostly, because he invited me and wanted me to be there, but also because there would be guidelines and the debate would be civil, not contentious. I was hoping Primero, who is running as a vice-presidential candidate, would be given a chance to speak but he was not. Still, both of the teams did a good job in discussing the topics presented to them. They were only given the topics yesterday afternoon and they did not know the specific questions that would be posed. It was interesting to hear their ideas for their school and a current events question about making it possible for American’s to vote online. Of course, they were not permitted to slander one another or even talk to one another during the debate, but even without the rules, I think they would have stuck to the topics. The two presidential candidates mentioned how they would work together, no matter who won, then hugged after the event and walked back to class together. The “professional” politicians could learn a lot from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment