Friday, October 12, 2018

Gut-wrenchingly Awful Decision


Primero was away from home all week. We barely spoke. He was home at some point in time on Wednesday, as evidence by the extra dirty dishes in the sink and the wet towel in the bathroom. He came home last night and spent the night at home. He told me today he would spend the day hanging out with his brother. The baby is being kept alive by a machine. The doctors have performed numerous tests and have determined the baby has no brain function or response. The parents are not in agreement to end the life support for the baby but Hermano’s family has told him they cannot be with him a second week like they were this week. On Thursday they had the baby baptized. As of right now the plan is to let him go on Sunday. It is a gut-wrenchingly awful decision to have to make.

 

Primero’s first period teacher called me on Thursday wondering if everything was ok with Primero since she hadn’t seen him all week. In trying to reach her, I ended up talking to the attendance office where I discovered Primero did not have permission to be out of school as he had told me. They explained to me, even though he is 18, in school he is still treated as a minor and they would need me to sign a permission slip for him to be out of school. I am now faced with the decision to sign it or not sign it. I am leaning towards not signing it and letting Primero handle it himself, as he indicated he already had.

 

Esperanza is back in town and staying with their aunt and uncle. She hasn’t said anything to me, but I am hoping she might stop by to say hi when things settle down a bit. I know the kids would like to see her. I’m sad she came back for something so tragic, but I’m glad she is back in town.  

1 comment:

  1. Oh that's really tough.
    I think your approach to Primero might be a good one. If he thinks he can act responsibly like an adult, then he needs to.

    ReplyDelete