Thursday, October 11, 2018

Spitting Mad


Last night at cheerleading practice Chica Marie spit in the face of one of her teammates. I was busy trying to keep Love Bug distracted without using my phone, which is what he wanted. We were coloring and I had just relented to allow him to watch one video on my phone when another mom walked up to me. “Your Chica Marie’s mom right?” she asked. I affirmed that I was and she responded with, “Well, your daughter just spit in my daughter’s face.” I wish I had seen the incident but I’m also glad I didn’t witness it. I called Chica Marie over to me and asked her what happened. She denied doing it, so I told her I knew she did because the other mom saw it and told me. I told her to go apologize and we left practice. During the car ride home I tried to ask her what happened and the only explanation she offered was that the other girl said she moved. She had been moved from her usual spot in the back row, next to this girl in the front row. I made suggestions of other things she could do, besides spitting in the girl’s face. If the girl was bothering her she could walk away, she could come over and tell me about it, she could tell the coach, she could ask the girl to stop. Spitting in someone’s face is never a good option.
 
Chica Marie had been doing good at cheerleading, she knows all the words to all the cheers, even if she doesn’t really know the exact moves. She seems to enjoy cheerleading and is still excited every week for practice. I want her to be able to continue. I warned her last night that behaviors like spitting in someone’s face, would mean she could not participate in cheerleading because it was not an ok behavior. I don’t know if she will still be placed next to the same girl at the games this weekend, but hopefully if she is it will be a more pleasant experience for both of them.

1 comment:

  1. I'm having a little chuckle. I'm hoping she understands now. And I'm hoping the other mom was nice about it.

    ReplyDelete